Print Page | Close Window

Hi im new

Printed From: Chalfont St Peter
Category: General
Forum Name: New Members
Forum Description: New to the site? Why not drop in here and say hi?
URL: https://www.chalfontstpeter.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1027
Printed Date: 29 March 2024 at 3:25pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hi im new
Posted By: xpat
Subject: Hi im new
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 10:03am

Hi Everyone, my name is shirley and i was born in chalfont as was my father before me, all of my three children were born in chalfont and lived there until we emigrated to australia in 1976.

I have been reading the messages on here for quite some time but have been a bit worried about joining as i am not very computer literate and was worried about doing something wrong, my son has just joined me up.

I know quite a lot about chalfont from about the late 1930's, what prompted me to join is that i have been following the discussion on the broadway cinema  ( The Flea Pit ) i may be able to shed some light on some things about the cinema as i spent a lot of time there in my youth and in the hall next door taking dancing lessons during the war years.

hope to hear from someone soon.

Xpat

Replies:
Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 10:26am

Hi Shirley and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about doing anything wrong, it's all fairly relaxed on here and new members are always made to feel at home.

There is a memories section and I am sure people wold love to hear about your memories of Chalfont if you care to jot them down.

You are not the only ex-pat either so I am sure you'll be receiving messages from our other Aussie members.

Posted By: Emsy
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 10:28am
Hi Shirley, a big welcome to the forum!

Whereabout in Oz are you? Two lots of my friends have emigrated in the past year, one couple to Sydney, the other to Perth..I'm quite envious of them!

-------------
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.

Posted By: Eddie
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 10:29am
Shirley went to school with my Godmother! It truly is a small world 

-------------
They say Kesey's dead; But never trust a prankster;even underground.

Posted By: Henry
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:01pm
Welcome Shirley

-------------
Keep the green belt green

Posted By: muttley
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:08pm
hello shirley

Posted By: Malc London
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:54pm

We should really be saying "Hello Xpat"

Posted By: jake
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:58pm
hello xpat, enjoy

Posted By: Rachael
Date Posted: 20 May 2005 at 2:51pm
Welcome to the forum Shirley

-------------
RBWH

Date Posted: 21 May 2005 at 10:07am

Hi to everyone,

Thanks to everyone for the welcome, in response to Emsy, we live in a town called Busselton which is approx 250kms south of Perth in West Australia, We are 160 kms south of Mandurah which is where Tobic lives.

xpat

l

Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 21 May 2005 at 12:32pm
so you have never met Tobic then........

-------------
Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Posted By: sharon
Date Posted: 21 May 2005 at 4:06pm

Hi Shirley!

Welcome to the forum - I have only been a member a few days longer than you and have been made very welcome and I am sure you will be too!!

Date Posted: 22 May 2005 at 5:30am

Steve I have not met Tobic ,but i  think i remember you and your mum and dad

xpat

Date Posted: 22 May 2005 at 5:33am

thanks Sharon for your welcome

xpat      &n bsp; 

Date Posted: 22 May 2005 at 8:13am
Originally posted by xpat xpat wrote:

Steve I have not met Tobic ,but i  think i remember you and your mum and dad

xpat

Hi xpat, there is a photo of my mum and dad in the memory lane section on the carnival posting. see if you can recognize them

-------------
Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 23 May 2005 at 12:11pm

Hi Expat, how are you, its good having another member living in this part of the world....I know Busselton pretty well, my inlaws used to live there, and a niece of mine has just bought a block in a big new developement down there...

You will enjoy the forum, its a bit of fun, I wouldnt miss logging on most evenings......Where in CSP did you used to live..???

All the best,

tony

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:42am
 Hi Tobic  Thanks for the welcome  i was born in Grove Hill  lived there till married  then moved miles away to Lovel road,  we came to Aussie in1976.    Still think of Chalfont as home,  Xpat 

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 9:00am

Hi Steve    I certainly recognized your Mum and Dad,  and Mr Webb  he had a shop on top of the common  he lived up  Lovel End. That was a great photo of early morning down the Market Place

Xpat

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:00am

Thanks xpat, Mr Web had a grocery shop right at the top of gold hill, if there are any parts of chalfont you like to see again then let me know and will try and do a photograph for you.

Steve...

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:14am

Thanks Steve   , I notice that Randalls are still operating, years ago their yard was in lovel road  opposite Eleanor Road,

Xpat

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:16am
Randalls are no more xpat . Different Company there now

-------------

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:19am

Don't have a photo of Tech Span (which has replaced Randalls)

Loads of photos here http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/cspmap/CSP2005.html - http://www.chalfontstpeter.com/cspmap/CSP2005.html

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: mushroom
Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:24am
Hi xpat, are you on that photo of the street party from 1953 in lovel rd

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:27am
Randalls site opposite Eleanor rd is now Cartwheel trailers (Len Savill)

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 11:56am
Tech Span took over the Randells site in church lane, did the place up and run there for a few years but I think the place is empty now allthough the Tech Span sign is still up there is a also a for rent sign up there too.

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:16pm

Thanks Dan Iam delighted with the photos  cant wait to show my family,  I have some old photos which i found on Bucks County Council site, they  brought back  memories  of how the village was which I had even forgotten.   I was very suprised at some of the more modern shops near barclays bank, The hospital. the rounded part at the front was  the operating Theatre many moons ago. Is that old Church Yard  next  Randalls garage still there. it used to have  huge  iron gates  us kids used to be scared stiff of the place  

Xpat

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:30pm

Mushroom,  The photo in Lovel Road  Ive  seen a few familiar faces but I wasnt one of them  Iwas still living  in Grove hill at the time so   probably wasnt invited

Xpat

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:44pm
it's a small world isn't it Shirley as I have some internet friends from Busselton, they are expats too

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:53pm
My Grandad use to own a yard up Eleanor rd where he use to hire tools out from and done verious other stuff , then he sold it when he lost his marbles for a cheap price, now there is 2 houses built on the plot, my mum still say's she will never drive down Eleanor rd.

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 1:07pm
think my mum worked there in eleanor road back in the early sixtys, seem to remember some sort of wood work yard...

Date Posted: 24 May 2005 at 1:19pm
you are right it was a wood yard, the bbc use to drop all there unwanted props to him, i use to have to help him clear it, and go down to the bottom off the road and we had a cuppa tea with a nice lady called Bet.

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 7:20am
 Jake Idont remember the wood yard  but I think I know Bet  First house on right,  Steve there was a few small businesses next to   the end shop one was  upholster, another  made  novelties of the naughty kind, well it was in  them days,  a few  local ladies worked there myself included late fifties early sixties   Xpat 

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 7:30am

Mushroom  are your friends in Bussleton from Chalfont,it certainly is a  small world 

Xpat

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:36am
No Shirley, George and Barbara Spooner are not chalfontonians

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:05am

Mushroom you are not going to believe this  but Iam a voluteer at St Vincent De Paul charity shop  and so is Barbara she works on a different day to me  so we dont know one another  all that well 

Xpat

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:58am
Shirley do you remember Doreen McTigue nee Pollmer, who lived opposite (she was about ten years older than you) when you lived in Grove Hill, (she says hi) she later moved to Lovel rd and lived either next to or opposite Steve and his family. 

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 25 May 2005 at 1:11pm
xpat if it is the same Betty, she had a son called Paul, she did live on the right as you look up the road where Randles was.

Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 1:04am
Doreen lived right on the cornner at the top of Lovel Rd,  I cant remember who lived right opposite us, I know they moved out and another family moved in for a short time but next to them was were my dad was brought up when he was young, Sally Mc Carol  lived there for many years after, they too have moved away now,

Posted By: big baggles
Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 10:00am

Originally posted by jake jake wrote:

My Grandad use to own a yard up Eleanor rd where he use to hire tools out from and done verious other stuff , then he sold it when he lost his marbles for a cheap price, now there is 2 houses built on the plot, my mum still say's she will never drive down Eleanor rd.

are they the two houses built on the bungalow site, built by DJ services ?

-------------
need a stella and i need one now !

Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 6:15pm
i don't no but when i take my dog's for a walk i will let you no the 2 houses/ bungalow's are half way up on the left, and every body use to know him as Frank, he all so wore a cap to stop his head getting cut all the time.

Date Posted: 27 May 2005 at 7:00am
 I think I remember Doreen  but not in Grove Hill,  Did she have long auburn  hair,  I do remember Billy, and my children remember his children , 

Date Posted: 27 May 2005 at 7:03am

same Bett  Jake she had a son called Paul he was always sweet on my daughter

Xpat

Date Posted: 27 May 2005 at 8:58am

Hi Shirley, I've only known Doreen about 5 years so I don't know what colour her hair was way back when but I will ask her when I take her shopping in an hours time, Billy lives in Denmark and Shiela is still in the village, the other two girls one's up north and and one in Aylesbury all of them have grown up families now.

Dave

-------------
Mushroom is a Fungi

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 12:02am
xpat that is spooky

Posted By: Helen
Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 12:51am
hey ho jake whats that all about.....................

Posted By: pierre
Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 7:03pm

this is old chalfont history! everybody is related in some way!!!

In some strange perverse way I have been related to Steve...

scary!!

but we can laugh about it now... can't we Steve????

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 8:53pm

we have not yet cut our thumbs and held them together in a silent pray as our blood become one but we have been cousins

Pierre and I knew each other way back in the seventys when pierrie had long hair (would love to find some of those photos), we have been to see the Quo and Slade together but Pierre never been to a floyd concert with me, still we have lots of tales we can tell our grandchildern.

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:25pm

I went from this...

http://img192.echo.cx/my.php?image=andyage17ed9dt.jpg">

TO THIS...

http://img265.echo.cx/my.php?image=me2at.gif">

the reason I've never been to a pink floyd concert was because I didn't think I could stay awake that long!!

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by pierre pierre wrote:

http://img265.echo.cx/my.php?image=me2at.gif -

the reason I've never been to a pink floyd concert was because I didn't think I could stay awake that long!!

Thats ok Pierre I would have kept poking you everytime you nodded off

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:34pm

steady on mate, just because we were cousins, Chalfont cousins at that, what would our children/brothers say?

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:39pm
I wont tell you you wont tell

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:41pm

keep it in the family, eh sis!

why haven't you laughed at my photos?

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:05pm

Ive not laughed beacuse of this one of me taken around 1977

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 10:15pm

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:21pm

you do look a bit Floyd-ey/ Kenny Everett, that is how I remembered you! amazing to see you these days cos you look just like your dad!

whereas I look like Buster Bloodvessel!!!

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:29pm

I thought I looked like a floyd nut but did not notice it at the time, my ears took some decibels in there teen years, now  I'm just an old man nearly 50 but look 60 and feel 40....

ps: you look cool in your glasses bit like Mike Reed...

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:43pm

Sorry Xpat for hijacking your thread

just got a bit carred away

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:44pm
Saw  Floyd at Brunel in Saucerful of secrets days . Went with Nick Bedell and  Keef McLarty I think 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:49pm

Keef McLarty???? that's a make believe name...!

I saw Nick lowe and Dave Edmunds Rockpile at Brunel Uxbridge...

tonne of crap they were! 

Ever seen Slade live Eddie?

thats a show!!

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:52pm

that must be 1967 ?????

sid Barrett days

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 11:55pm
yeah..I think ..all a bit vague that time

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 12:00am

this is a blurred pic of one of the Slade gigs Pierre and I went too

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 1:15pm

seems it was 28th November 1969 (post Syd) , my 20th Birthday

-------------

Posted By: The Messer
Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 3:04pm
hi everyone im new to this formum. my husband is totally addicted to this and i want to see what this is all about. so basically what are you all talking about, all the things which go on in chalfont. well im sure i will fit in just fine as im such a gossip as im sure all of you are as you have joined this forum. well i hope to read and contribute to some interesting subjects.

The Messer

Posted By: fontie
Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 4:12pm

A big welcome. Look forward to your contributions. Any clue who your husband is?

Posted By: Henry
Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 4:45pm
Welcome to 'The Messer' does your husband know your post on here?

-------------
Keep the green belt green

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 5:01pm

welcome The Messer

Fontie i think her husband is called Jim, and she use to be called dot cotton as she say's she likes to gossip

once again Messer welcome.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by The Messer The Messer wrote:

hi everyone im new to this formum. my husband is totally addicted to this and i want to see what this is all about. so basically what are you all talking about, all the things which go on in chalfont. well im sure i will fit in just fine as im such a gossip as im sure all of you are as you have joined this forum. well i hope to read and contribute to some interesting subjects.

The Messer

I think she should have typed mother addicted.....

Posted By: Bombshell
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 6:10pm
Hi this is bombshell a friend of mine has suggested I join this site.  I enjoy living in chalfont with my family and drinking pals!

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 6:54pm
Hi Bombshell and welcome to this site. Looking forward to reading your postings and getting to know you better.

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 4:36am

Its a pity every one with a  camera   couldnt be here at this moment   we live about 300 metres from beach , theres a massive operation going  on   at the beach  as   about 120 whales have  beached  themselves,  they are spread over afew killometres 40 are still off shore trying to get in, some as big as 4metres long  some babies, they are looking for volunteers with wet suits  what about it Tobic

WELCOME ALL NEWBIES

Posted By: DanW
Date Posted: 03 June 2005 at 8:45am

Oooh...you live near Busselton:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4602429.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4602429.stm

-------------
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.

Posted By: tobic
Date Posted: 03 June 2005 at 12:02pm
The busselton folks did a fantastic job, I wish I lived closer and heard of it sooner, I would certainly have been down there...........to have lost only one ,and that one was dying anyway, was a great achievement....Well done to all, you all deserve a medal in my book..........

-------------

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.

Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 7:11am
 There was about 1,500 volunteers,this included people giving out food and drinks, once  the whales were in deeper water,  the boats formed a U shape around them,    what was very surprising to the rescuers in the boats was to see a pod of dolphins helping to shepherd the whales out sea

Posted By: mickamm
Date Posted: 05 June 2005 at 10:55am

Hi Shirley,

Mum says how are you doing and that she owes you an e-mail. She will send one as soon as she can. Hope Alan and the "kids" are all well.Nice to find you on here. Take care.

Mick

-------------
Just as i see the light at the end of the tunnel, some b***ard turns it off

Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 7:52am
Hi Mike  How are you  and all the clan?, all is well in Aussie land, lots of happy memories of our families growing up in Chalfont,tell your Mum to get e-mailng  Shirley

Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 8:44am
  Dan, It seems that Busselton is  now famous,  making the news, on the B.B.C.  Xpat

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net