Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking for Chalfont Youth Centre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking for Chalfont Youth Centre
    Posted: 25 January 2016 at 7:56pm
All,

Earlier this evening I witnessed some arguably perhaps dangerous parking by parents dropping off their children at Chalfont Youth Centre. 

Cars were stopping suddenly on the left hand side whilst heading up Joiners Lane (around 15m from the roundabout) and also stopping suddenly when coming down Joiners Lane on the left hand side just before the subway.  They typically pulled up half on the path and half on the road resulting in a narrower road than normal.  This resulted in following cars stopping abruptly or swerving  to prevent accidents.  Of course following cars should be maintaining a safe distance.  Alternatively, when two cars are parked directly opposite, some drivers tried to squeeze though a small gap.

As children exited the parents cars in the 'Up' Joiners Lane direction, they ran across Joiners Lane and were barely taking notice of the busy traffic.   No doubt they were told to be careful as they exited the cars. But they also presumably excited as they wanted to meet up with their friends.

There appeared to be a helpful guy in attendance who was not present to monitor the parking, more perhaps to welcome the children.  I spoke to him regarding the parking and what I considered to perhaps be a the danger to the children and also to other drivers.  He advised that the Youth Centre were aware of the problem and would again bring it to their attention.  I believe he advised that it was the parents wishes that there children were dropped as close to the Youth Centre as possible -  a reasonable concern.

I am writing this thread to perhaps try to increase awareness that whilst parent's consider it safest to drop their children off as close as possible to Chalfont Youth Centre other drivers typically accelerate quite hard from the A413 roundabout (due to the incline of Joiners Lane) and typically exceed the speed limit down Joiners Lane (which has recently had a high visibility sign installed) and perhaps if they parked differently then it would prevent a child being injured or perhaps worse.

Regards

MV

Sponsored Links

Quackers View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 7:34am
It's no wonder this country is in the mess it is..
Q
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 11:57am
I agree with MV Owner about the dangers of thoughtless parking especially on a major road. Chalfont has suffered for ages from really dreadful parking by parents dropping their kids off or picking them up - Just look at Lovel End school or the C of E Academy at chucking out time. Cars are parked every which way and the children are running excitedly all over the place. And the language used by some parents when asked to move.......!
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 12:43pm
I agree with you Quackers, careful parking and consideration may just prevent a bad injury
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2016 at 8:52pm
This evening I understand some more active marshalling was in place. I understand this is just to keep the children safe which is certainly a good thing
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 12:10pm
I never understand why parents have to drop their children off on joiners lane when the entrance is off Chilterns hill. I use to drop my children off there 20 years ago. Unless it has changed I am assuming that it is just lazyness.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 12:34pm
It may be that the people of Chalfont Heights object to the use of Chiltern Hill
 Post Reply Post Reply