Forum Home Forum Home > General > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nice pub required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nice pub required
    Posted: 07 January 2010 at 5:07pm
Got some friends coming over next week - want to take them to a nice country style pub - good food, nice wine/beer and open fireplaces. Was thinking possibly The Swan at Denham or Crown at St Giles but they look a little up market. Can anyone recommend something a little more down to earth in the area?

thanks

Sponsored Links

highstreetnanny View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highstreetnanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 9:03pm
how about the White Hart it has nice fires and im sure the beer is good!! Havent eaten so i cant comment on the food, but it often smells good!
Im new to the area, so havent managed to sample many pubs yet
Neil View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 11:00pm
White Horse in Hedgerley is top of my list. Great country pub - open fire - awesome for real ales - however not sure about food in the evenings.

Blackwood Arms in the Burnham Beeches. Again defintely falls into country pub category. Good beers. Can't remember about the open fire. Definitely does food in the evenings.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 10:51am
Thanks. I like the WH, just not sure whether I'll be able to gg back up the hill :)

Blackwood arms looks nice

cheers
Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:17pm
The Chequers in Wooburn Common is nice.

http://www.chequers-inn.com/index.htm

...but so is The Crown, Crown Lane, Farnham Common.

http://www.crowninnfarnhamroyal.co.uk/index.html

They've recently done it up and I love walking round Burnham Beeches (which is just up the road).

I've added the links so you can have a butchers (sorry, forgot you are veggy) LOOK at the menu.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:47pm
black horse, fulmer, good irish cooking.
Wolfie View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 10:00pm

The Red Lion, Park Road, Stoke Poges - the menu is bistro style (owned by the same chain that own the Apple Tree GX) but there are various little alcoves with roaring fires which make it really cosy for pre or post drinkies.

OldChris imho the food at the Black Horse is pretty boring (scampi and chips, etc.) and not very imaginative

Edited by Wolfie - 08 January 2010 at 10:04pm

Power to the people

phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 12:04pm
I agree the Black Horse in Fulmer is very disappointing. I went there just before Christmas. Waited over 45 minutes in a freezing cold pub for a panini and chips. Will not be going back. Red Lion or maybe the Crown in CSG I reckon .

Thanks all

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:18pm
well, thats changed then, when i went about 2 years ago, it was very good, simple cooking done well, i know they have had problems getting decent chefs who know what they are doing.

Edited by oldchris - 11 January 2010 at 3:19pm
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by oldchris oldchris wrote:

well, thats changed then, when i went about 2 years ago, it was very good, simple cooking done well, i know they have had problems getting decent chefs who know what they are doing.

you could go the cock in sarrat, on the hill, it's small but i have never had a bad meal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>