Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New bin collections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Walrus Walrus wrote:

On the whole this is good.

The extra recycling is excellent and will save me taking tins and plastic to he recycling centre. I'm glad they are doing weekly food waste.

I'm disappointed about the charge for garden waste, this a back door council tax increase. But garden waste can go in to a composter. They are free to get.

If a composter is free, and all of the garden waste can go in it, then the garden waste collection service isn't needed, so how is it a back door council tax? It's there because someone wants to use it because of their own preference.

Do you really want to pay for someone else's garden waste to be collected via the ordinary council charge? Not what I'd consider a publically funded necessity, I can think of better things. 

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 8:26am
I'm all in favour of recycling plastic bottles and cans. S Bucks have been dojng this for years. I'm not so pleased with the Garden waste charge (although i will probably end up paying it). We pay enough Council Tax as it is. The woods near our house are already heaving with junk that's been dumped there and this will be added to by the people who won't pay the Green Bin tax, won't compost and are too lazy to take their green waste to the dump.

Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
BuzzBunny View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzBunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 10:13am

I think that the local schools might lose out a bit as I think they made money from having the plastic/tin recycling at the schools, which I think a lot of parents used. Don't know if it really made much though?

Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

If you get together with your neighbours, you can split the cost. No-one needs to fill a bin so splitting the cost and sharing a bin makes sense.

Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

i have 2 green bins -we bought another as if you do alot of gardening then its easy to fill with trimmings nad grass clippings...

Sharing Garden recycling seems good, but will there be a limit to the number of bins from 1 property they will empty? Otherwise our whole street could club together and put 40 Garden waste bins on 1 drive?
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 10:27am
You can't put garden waste such as branches frmo tree pruning etc in yoru compost. That would take years to decompose. On the whole the idea is good but why have to separate kitchen and garden waste? I really don't want another wheelie bin or more recylcing boxes. My side path is full of them as it is
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 12:57pm
I assume you pay per bin, not per household. What I was suggesting that if someone who has little garden waste, they could share with someone else and cut down on the cost.

Small branches are allowed, (thumbsize).

What I am most looking forward to is recycling cans and plastic bottles. At present I have to take an old bin down to the carpark but now will able to just put them in a wheelie bin.

I do think the last contractors did a good job. Hope the new one's are as good.

Annoying Jamie View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annoying Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 1:00pm
I pay £1400 a year in council tax im not paying anymore! What the hell do they do with all that money?

Oh yes of course,they spend it on a load of silly lefty nonsense.
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 1:04pm
what a joke, i shall dump my grass cuttings in the road then!
stop HS2.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Annoying Jamie Annoying Jamie wrote:

I pay £1400 a year in council tax im not paying anymore! What the hell do they do with all that money?

Oh yes of course,they spend it on a load of silly lefty nonsense.

I think they sent you some information on where the oney goes with your Council Tax information earlier this year.

Not sure Chiltern District Council spend much money on "lefty nonsense" given the representation of parties across councillors https://isa.chiltern.gov.uk/democracy/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY&VW=LIST&PIC=0
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 1:38pm
my compost bin is full, i can fill it quicker than it turns into compost, even after adding accelorator...... so my green bins x2 get filled with garden cuttings, hedge trimmings and  prunings fairly often, and too much  of a certain tree clippings actually  have negative effects on your compost heap/ bin....

so question is do i pay  another ' tax' or dont pay and  take my trailer full of stuff to the tip or do as chris suggests, and dump grass cuttings in the road !!! LOL

Edited by big baggles - 25 April 2013 at 1:39pm
need a stella and i need one now !
GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 1:42pm
I read my mailshots this week too, also in disbelief.

All this is about is getting us to do the Council's job for them. To the poster who said we had 'free' collection before, that's incorrect - it was funded from the Council tax. And it still should be.

The Council considers itself underfunded, so raises funds to do the grass pickups in this manner. Without question there are other areas in the Council's publicy funded budget that can be trimmed to accomodate this, but they don't consider that an option, it's far easier for them to dress this up as 'greening' and childly paste 'Good news' all over the pamphlets. The accounts are all publicly available online, I urge you to read them. (I'll post a link later).

You need to write to the Council like I have done, our discussions on here won't get noticed.

Some of us have very large families and the Council's concept of alternatively driving our lawnmowers clippings and branches miles to the nearest refuse centre in a kid-freindly car whilst juggling children is, at the very best, insulting.

I suggest we dump all the clippings outside the Councils offices and see what they think of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>