Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW 30MPH LIMIT ON A40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW 30MPH LIMIT ON A40
    Posted: 09 February 2011 at 5:46pm

Looks like the council have taken advantage of the bridge removal to make this 6 lane carriageway into a 30mph limit down from 50mph.

Words fail me.

Sponsored Links

brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 5:50pm
Probably because of the new pedestrian crossing.

I knew this was going to turn out badly.

Expect the camera to follow suit.Nuke

Edited by brewski - 09 February 2011 at 5:50pm
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by brewski brewski wrote:

Probably because of the new pedestrian crossing.

I knew this was going to turn out badly.

Expect the camera to follow suit.Nuke

Almost certainly.

Yet for years people have been crossing the road happliy with a 50 mph limit.

The new crossing will have traffic lights.  Even the main A40 has a 40mph limit where there is a pedestrian crossing.

I sense this is seen as an opportunity to sneak it in without consultation.

Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 6:16pm
Also an opportunity to criminalise lots of people and makes lots of money!
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 6:32pm
My worry is the danger this puts everyone in.

Driving at 30mph (or less as 30mph is the maximum), there will no doubt be people being impatient and driving the more realistic 50mph which will cause people the shift lanes or tailgate.

Something must be done about this, we really need someone to stand up for the motorists of this country.

I
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 6:33pm
having used to live only a few minutes walk from this crossing i think the 30mph limit to go with the new crossing seems sensible-

( personally i dont see why the bridge is not being replaced- yes i know its expensive but it makes sense to me to have a bridge not a crossing but....thats life )

i used to cross the bridge daily to catch the bus,  if the crossing is activated and traffic is travelling at 50mph there is a risk to pedestrians that vehicles may not stop in time...so the 30 limit  ties in with the new crossing

but i guess it will be soon monitored by TVP with camera vans or whatever in the near future... i guess the new limit will involve plenty of licences being endorsed as a result ... 
need a stella and i need one now !
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 6:53pm
I think a new bridge would have to conform to new regulations which would make it very expensive and pretty huge.

Not many people seemed to use the bridge either, most just crossed the road.

Cars seems to stop ok on the 40mph A40 crossing, a red light is a red light.

I will obey the new speed limit and travel at 25mph. Just don't blame me if you are behind me.

Edited by Malc London - 09 February 2011 at 6:54pm
kermie55 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermie55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 8:25pm

Is the speed limit not temporary while the works are going on??

scotty View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 8:43pm
I would have been glad of the opportunity to drive along there at 30 mph this morning instead of crawling through at 5 mph!
I got the impression too that the 30 is only whilst roadworks are ongoing and the road is down to one lane but maybe I am wrong!  We will see.....
oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 10:04pm
oh dear, no more drag racing off the lights.....LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>