Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

... back of the pet shop I think next to the newsagent by the vale,

I remember a pet shop about there, early 60's, had a brilliant parrot, "Good morning, can I help you" when you walked in ... sounded exactly like the owner.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Chilternman Chilternman wrote:

I remember a photographer that was at the back of the pet shop I think next to the newsagent by the vale, I think the same guy used to run both businesses, I still have the pic of my sister and me aged about 1 & 3.

The pet shop ( with the parrot) was owned by Mr Hearn
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Garry Garry wrote:

I stand to be corrected but the Lower Road starts from Chiltern Hill towards Gerrards Cross, the High Street runs from the Waggon & Horses through to Chiltern Hill, and there was the Kings Arms and the Rose & Crown pubs more or less opposite each other, then as is today the Greyhound and The George, and the Carpenters Arms was approximately where HSBC is today (no eyesore of a precinct in those days) and of course Poachers was the Bakers Arms and then opposite as is today The White Hart, 7 pubs in the old High Street.
Andrews (Menswear) was The Mans Shop and was of course in the High Street.
Robertsons Butchers was run by Tom Robertson who still has a butchers in Little Chalfont to this day.
There was another butchers Allum & Glandfield next to Claydons (now Birrings) tucked back by where the Tile shop used to be.

So going on from here.
It seems there was a pub named “The five bells” it stood where “ The Bakers Arms “ used to be. In the early 1700’s.

Edited by hissing sid - 24 January 2018 at 5:44pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:53am
Old records suggest Chalfont St Peter used to be known as 'the village of the seven pubs', which must have been an inordinately large ratio of pubs to villagers even back then.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

Old records suggest Chalfont St Peter used to be known as 'the village of the seven pubs', which must have been an inordinately large ratio of pubs to villagers even back then.

Wandering down the High Street to just past the garage at Gravel Hill it used to be:  

Bakers Arms (ex 5 Bells) (R), White Hart (L), Carpenters Arms (R), George (R), Greyhound (L), Kings Arms (R), Rose & Crown (L), Wagon & Horses (R), Coach & Horses, (R) ... add to them: Jolly Farmer, Three Pigeons

... some pub crawl.

Art

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2018 at 6:30pm
There used to be nine pubs in Chalfont St Giles, two at Three Households, (one was demolished for housing), the other being the White Hart, Milton's Head (now demolished), Fox & Hounds, the Feathers (now the Stone Place restaurant), the Crown (now Costa Coffee), Merlin's Cave, the Pheasant (now a Vet's), and the Ivy House. I've drunk in all of them except the one that was demolished at Three Households. How times, (and pubs), change!
Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:35am
The pub at the Three Households that was demolished was Uncle Toms Cabin. I remember it vaguely as I went into it at a young age, Kids didn't really go in pubs in them days, Have great memories of sitting outside it.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 8:57am
Yes, you're right Garry, it was called Uncle Toms Cabin, I couldn't remember the name.
IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 4:53pm

There is a private message for libbyH
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:37am
The Dumb Bell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>