Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross - Latest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 11:44am
is there any truth in the stories about the "tunnel" between the Grey Hound and the Convent ?
JR was ere
Sponsored Links

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 11:49am
According to various sources, there *used* to be a tunnel. However, it collapsed many years ago, and there was only a small section lect from the Greyhound. I don't know what happened to this after the recent refurbishments.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
wellzie295 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellzie295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:46pm

Please read

i go to the school and i am in yr11 so in a way i am in a safe posistion, but the girls who are in year 10 and 12 are in trouble as they are half way through their courses. we are all very upset because the school is such a friendly and unquie place, the reason for it shutting is that(as fare as we have been told) the sisters and they trustie's what to take the funding out of our school and put it towards helping other people. girls at the school when we found out were in floods of tears, we treat the school as a second home, we don't really understand why it happend  to our school. but mrs shinkwin has been very good to the school as all the teachers have been. if anyone has any ideas please help. 

why my school
wellzie295 View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellzie295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:47pm
yes there is a tunel to the pub but it's not open any more
why my school
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 9:29pm

Hi Wellzie....

My underanding is that the nuns are basically retiring and their order in Switzerland does not wish to replace them and keep the school going. Some parents from the school came up with all sorts of options to put to the Order, including buying the school themselves. However, for reasons we can all only guess at, all these options were refused. Therefore, the school is to be sold off at the end of July.

I think many share my fear that the Order of nuns has already received a generous offer from land/property developers for the school site, which would be why they refused the parents' options. Theis would mean the school and its land being developed into either offices or housing and I don't think there are many locals who would want that.

Therefore, I agree that a local action group is needed, with 2 aims:

1) To continue trying to keep HC open as a school

2) To prevent the school and its land being sold off for development which would be detrimental to the local area.

You need to find some leaders and do it by the book, as Sense did, and PERSEVERE. Nothing is the developer's friend more than apathy...

Good luck!

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
maria View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 10:08pm

It is very sad news about holy cross, but as a village we need to work together to keep this school. I have no children at holy cross, my children go to other local schools. So if we can help, lets get some plans together and save holy cross

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 10:14pm

I agree.

My kids don't go to HC but its still an important feature of CSP. If my kiddies' school was about to close, I'd like unaffected locals to help fight for it. Plus, on a more selfish note, do we want the alternative of housing or offices or supermarket?

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Helen View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 6:29am

Thank you, there is a action group and they are doing a fantastic job.

BB I would send my daughter to any local school if there was a place!

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:21am
Helen -are we saying every other school in the area is 100% full ?
need a stella and i need one now !
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 8:41am
the reason i asked about the tunnel is that it was suppost to have been used by Judge Jefferies (i think) escaping from the round heads - if this is the case surely its of historical interest etc etc and could be made into some sort of heritage site ?
JR was ere
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>