Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old village toy shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

Thats right Sid, Mr Stone [I forget his first name] was manager of the fishmongers Botts, where I worked saturdays............

Dead right with the butchers shops..................

Eric rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

Womble View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:19am
The cycle shop was called Chalfont Cycle Sports and toys and was where the shop that now sells garage doors was located. It was owned by Peggy Draycott who used to live in Chalvey, Slough who eventually moved to Blandford Forum with Jack Hearne who owned a cycle shop in Slough and was selling top of the range cycles from Slough.
Peggy started with cycles but extended to airfix models and toys to supplement the income. They charges £1.50 to repair a puncture in 1970.
I was the mechanic there from late 1960's to about spring 1971 working after school and weekends.
We saw the era of the Raleigh Chopper and Gresham Flyer cycles when they were all the rage.
Happy days!
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

Thats right Sid, Mr Stone [I forget his first name] was manager of the fishmongers Botts, where I worked saturdays............

Dead right with the butchers shops..................

Eric rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Art

It was Eric Stone who managed Botts in Market Place, I believe he had two sons, one was called Ian.
My aunt was one of the cashiers on Botts GX for many years.
Mr Bott, having lost his wife, remarried, (I think he married one his cashiers in the GX shop - not my aunt!), and retired to a bungalow in Hill Rise.
One for Tobic - was Jimmy Blair working at Botts GX when you were there?
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 5:34am
there was another guy working there when I was there, I believe his name was Jim, dunno his surname.

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Mustard View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 8:10pm
Harrolds?
Mustard View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 9:05pm
When we were kids Santa Claus delivered a Scalextric which created huge excitement as we put it together. Then much to our bitter disappointment we discovered a piece of track was missing. Not a problem our Dad phoned Reg Harrold of Harrolds and explained the situation. Without hesitation Reg opened his shop on Christmas day and gave Dad a replacement piece of track. Problem sorted and great fun was had by all. The moral of this story ...................SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES. Dad had purchased this from another store!! God bless you Reg. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123