Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

budgens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:45am
Thats what we do at work to comply.
Sponsored Links

big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 12:08pm

you need to have method of commnication, so if they slip / fall have an accident they can raise the alarm, we have walkie talkies that go through to a central communications base, these walkie talkies are fitted internally with a tilt type switch so if you were to fall or trip and the tilt switch is then activated if there is no movement for 45 seconds it triggers an alarm and displays location on the site.

budgens would not be classed as high risk( no chemicals or machinery or gasses or such like) but there should be some kind of 'panic' button/ alarm / method of communication/ or cctv that is continuosly monitored so that if there was only 1 member of staff on the shop floor other staff say in the offices know there is something going on....

the staff member may be in a position to make a claim against his employer........

need a stella and i need one now !
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:22pm

Budgens has been the subject of an armed raid a couple of times hasn't it? If so, I would have thought they should realise that one person on a shop floor is simply not sufficient for safety purposes.

Also, if I were a shoplifter, I'd definitely target a place where the only person around was sat on the checkout.

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by Barn Owl Barn Owl wrote:

Not so much Mills and Boon, as Jilly Cooper meets Fanny Craddock....

I'm very pleased to confirm that I have never read any of the above. However, I think Jessama is right - I need to get out more.

I think I'll pay a visit to the greengrocer tomorrow......

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:13pm

I expect there are many people who work alone at various times, or even all the time, such as fuel station cashiers, particularly at night, and small shop and convenience store cashiers, some of whom may be the owner.  Where there is no contact with other people or other hazards I would think the danger is fairly minimal.

There are publications on the Health and Safety site, too many to indicate individually but this is the search results page: http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/HSEC?q=lone+working& amp;sa=Go

I have read one of them and it seems to be a fairly grey area.

Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:23pm
Health and safety at work legislation is very diffuse, but it is all underpinned by a few strong principles which if I recall are at HSWA 1974 section 2. Basically, it is the duty of any employer to ensure, as far as it realistically can, the health, safety and welfare at work of its employees.

This includes providing systems of working that are safe. A safe system of work is likely to include not leaving someone on their own, in a vulnerable position because they are both dealing with the public and have access to large amounts of cash.

So Budgens would be liable in this situation, no question. It's also not a civil matter - ie the employee would not take action - there would be a criminal prosecution. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 7:30am
All you need to do is see if budgens complies with ISO18001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516