FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedful medames

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ful medames
    Posted: 08 June 2006 at 11:14am
simple and quick to make and delicious with fried or grilled halloumi cheese and pitta of other flat bread. I had this for breakfast in Dubai several years ago, but think it is better suited for lunch.

First the tricky bit - find a middle eastern supermarket. I work not far from the bottom end of Edgware Road so not a problem for me. What you need is a tin or two of medames - these are fava beans and come either in salted water or already with spices added. Choose the plain ones if possible. If you can't find these use fresh or frozen broad beans and cook for longer.

• Heat olive oil in a saucepan. When hot, add 2-3 chopped cloves of garlic, then the beans which should be rinsed and drained.
  • add 1 heaped teaspoon of ground cumin per tin of fava beans and 1 heaped teaspoon of ground paprika.
  • cover beans with water - just above the height of the beans.
  • simmer until beans are very tender then roughly mash them
  • return to heat and add a lug of olive oil and a splash of lemon juice.
  • place in a dish and top with chopped, skinned tomatoes and finely chopped parsley
serve with warmed flatbreads and grilled halloumi (brush halloumi slices with olive oil and place under grill till brown - turn and repeat)

Edited by phisch21
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply