Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commenting on old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Garry Garry wrote:

I was born in Chalfont St Peter in 1950 and I can only remember a post office in the Market Place once you had gone past the Vale walking down, It used to have a cigarette vending machine in the front that was accessible from the street.

I guess I must have made a mistake in an earlier comment, re the cigarette machine. So what shop had the chocolate machine? That I remember so well.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Sponsored Links

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 7:43am
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

I was born in Chalfont St Peter in 1950 and I can only remember a post office in the Market Place once you had gone past the Vale walking down, It used to have a cigarette vending machine in the front that was accessible from the street.

I guess I must have made a mistake in an earlier comment, re the cigarette machine. So what shop had the chocolate machine? That I remember so well.

Ben's?

Art

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 11:52am
I do remember a cigarette vending machine at the front of the post office in Market Place down from Ben's.
Anyone remember the milk bar? As I recall there was the Co-Op on the corner of the Vale, next door was a bicycle shop and the milk bar was the next one up. The family running it eventually went to run a grocery store in Upton Lea Parade, Wexham Road, Slough.
Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:12pm
You lads have started it now, the missus has now joined in and says she is sure the cigarette machine was on the right hand side and the chocolate machine was on the left hand side at the post office as you face the front.
The shop frontage did not run on a straight line, there was 2 big windows, one either side of the central door which was positioned about 2 feet back from the path edge and the windows ran diagonally out towards the ends and the front of the shop.
I used to do a paper round from 'Bens' in the early 60s and I don't remember a chocolate machine located there, however, I could be wrong, I just don't remember it.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2017 at 1:26pm

You lads have started it now, the missus has now joined in and says she is sure the cigarette machine was on the right hand side and the chocolate machine was on the left hand side at the post office as you face the front.
The shop frontage did not run on a straight line, there was 2 big windows, one either side of the central door which was positioned about 2 feet back from the path edge and the windows ran diagonally out towards the ends and the front of the shop.
I used to do a paper round from 'Bens' in the early 60s and I don't remember a chocolate machine located there, however, I could be wrong, I just don't remember it.

Well there you go. Thanks for coming to my rescue Sherry. I was sure the chocolate machine was at the post office as I suggested a few weeks back.
It was a very narrow machine, I’m not sure if it was just one colum, definitely not more than two.

She is also quite correct about the shop front. The door was set in maybe a foot. So the shop front angled to meet the door, then back out to meet the next store.

Edited by hissing sid - 25 November 2017 at 1:29pm
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2017 at 9:52am
The picture of Market Place posted 30 November shows my late aunt in her green cardigan walking with her stick up the street past the Chinese restaurant. She lived in the 'Snapdragons' the house next door to the fish & chip shop. She worked for many years as a cashier in Bott's fishmongers in GX.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 6:24pm
My best guess at "Chalfont Park Links Course, aka Gerrards Cross Golf Club." on Page 17 is that it is looking over the footpath, the Misbourne and the Lower Road just on the village side of the bottom of KIngsway with the houses in School Lane just visible going up from right to left. I think what is now the Cricket Pitch is a little bit behind the tree on the left

Art
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 6:35pm
You are basically correct but I would describe it as looking straight down the 2nd fairway
emstdjm View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emstdjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 11:44pm
In one of the photographs of the church it’s stated it’s taken from the meadows on which it is assumed now the site of the main car park in the scrap book in the library there is an article and picture that suggests that the article park is built on the church’s graveyard. Do we know if that is true and if there were and photographic record of the grave stones?

Also does anyone know when st peter’s Garden was laid out as it currently is?

emstdjm
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:41am
"The High Street no date but post 1904. Some horses taking a drink. Also the Greyhound." on page 17 must be post 1908 as the gas lamp is in the middle of the barrier.

Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>