Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water meters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 5:34pm
Thanks Paul G. The danger of leaks is what has been worrying me since we were called out at 10.00 at night by my elderly in laws who had a leak that needed the mains switched off outside the house. The man from Affinity said our insurance would cover us in the event of a leak but then our premiums would go up! We may well have to bite the bullet

Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
Sponsored Links

MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2017 at 7:00pm
When we go on holiday we even drain the hot and cold water tanks to avoid any catastrophic damage!
Paul_G View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 2:40pm
Libtek.

Maybe have a look at:

Quote from the start of the 1st article: "Water companies keep up to date maps of sewers and water mains for which they are responsible."  Not quite in line with your 1st post!

If it were me I'd pay to have a stopcock put in where the pipe entered my property. Fitting a meter there would then be easy.

P
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2017 at 8:25pm
Just to say thanks to everyone for their advice. I went on the Affinity web site and filled in the details in the "where's my stop tap" section. I then had to ring them to make an appointment for someone to come to my house. A nice man turned up (in torrential rain) and having actually looked at the original records (yay!!) found the  stop cock. It was in our newly laid drive 😕. Apparently the water company will need to take up part of the drive but say they will replace it after. We'll see what happens!
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
ian View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 9:16am
surprised the people who laid your new drive didn't find it and ensure it remained accessible. 
Rod View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:12pm
I like to drain my tanks when I'm away on holiday too.
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 8:26pm
our drive was concreted over when we bought our house, with a massively deep cover, and I think the stopcock was buried quite deep under it so the drive people probably didn't notice it. Draining the tanks is a good idea too
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2017 at 10:42pm
Yes I do drain the tanks, both the hot and cold water.  Its nice to  have an easy to access isolation point at the meter for this very purpose
Nikblik View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikblik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 11:37am
I think its unfortunate that the water company have spray painted blue in so many places on pavements in the village. If a member of the public did it they would be pulled up for graffitti. We have our own blue mark which I thought was pretty unsightly. I then realised there were lots of them when I went for a walk.Will they wear off?
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2017 at 6:14pm
Id agree Nik, they look awful all sprayed in the blue paint.  really horrible.  I hope they have been sprayed with a paint that wears off soon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>