Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

London Overflow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: London Overflow
    Posted: 23 July 2017 at 12:36pm
ma0nps wrote:

"Not to go too off-topic, but this isn't the first post on here I've seen that has an anti "London workers" sentiment, and as one such worker who moved to the village in the last 12 months, I resent the generalisation. Many people move to the South East for work in London, but many of us who choose to live in towns and villages outside the city are doing so precisely because we DO value the community and local events of village life."

I think there is a difference between those that choose to move into the villages around London and those that are forced by affordability to move to the villages around London.

The challenge the villages have is that far too many people are forced to move out of London, or get pushed away in a ripple effect, due to excessive demand for housing in London. That is why there is the common feeling of despair.

There ought to be a plan to reduce the number of employment opportunities in London by 50%, not one to increase the capacity of Transport into London as that will only drive even higher demand.

In other words, fix the real problem, don't keep applying plasters which we all know will rapidly fall off!

Art

*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

Rod View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 4:14pm
Reduce the employment opportunities in London by 50%? Are you on a wind up?
Rod View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 4:28pm
What...are we all going to become farmers again and marry our cousins?
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 5:11pm
There is clearly excessive drug taking on this forum
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Reduce the employment opportunities in London by 50%? Are you on a wind up?

No. I'm quite serious, look at the sustainability issues in the South East. We have road and rail networks that can't cope and continually need upgrading to get people into, or towards, London. OK, they may not have to go all the way in but that's where the ripple effect comes in. (and even helps make the business case for HS2)

Imagine the benefits if no-one worked more than 5 miles from where they worked. The reduced travel times, more time to spend with their families, reduced childcare costs... need I go on?

Not that long ago the buzz was all about high speed broadband reducing the need for people to physically work in London, trouble was it just meant that another bum was put in the seat in London, so where did that bum owner come from... oh dear... they couldn't afford to live in London... so which village can they afford to live in etc. etc.

It's great for London to put up new office blocks, wow don't they look good... but no-one in the area can afford to live there. The business rates they generate don't get given to the localities that provide the workers so those localities suffer.. need I go on.

Art

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

What...are we all going to become farmers again and marry our cousins?

No, just make sure the job opportunities are put where people can afford to live. Don't keep putting them where people can't afford to live.

Art
GXCSP View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GXCSP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

.. need I go on.

Art

Erm, no. You've emabarrassed yourself enough already.
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 7:13pm
I think artificially trying to reduce the number of jobs in London might be a little dramatic!

It'll be intersting to see what happens as VR really takes off;- if you can just whack a headset on and be in a realistic virtual office, why wouldn't you want to take the headset off at the end of the day and then be in the Lakes, or Cornwall? (Or beautiful Buckinghamshire, of course!) That said, people and opportunities have always flocked towards people and opportunities since time began, that's why we have cities in the first place and not an even geographical distribution of people across the UK!

In terms of people being priced out of London, whilst that could be true in H.Wycombe, Slough etc. I don't think it is in our village- certainly last year, on house price alone, CSP was more expensive than S.Ruislip, Northolt, Harrow, all of which have better and cheaper links to central London.

Maybe the solution for our community is to turn things on its head and instead of grumbling about newcomers and outsiders (I know it's only a minority that do) to have an annual "welcome to the village" event for anyone new to the area, where people would be welcomed but also where it's easy to find out about the organisations that make some of the lovely things around here happen, so that it's easier to volunteer and become part of the community.
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 8:17pm
We could forget the 50% reduction and all become travellers. A bit like hot desking, you could just turn up and use a hot desking toilet

Edited by MV Owner - 23 July 2017 at 8:18pm
Rod View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 8:59pm
I can see it now...companies in London being told...right you've got to relocate your offices to the middle of nowhere or some other town with little or no transport links...will they say ok yep great idea OR actually we'll prefer to move to Munich, Paris, Singapore...and thereby take all the jobs, tax revenue and economic benefits abroad. Local tradesmen, restaurant owners etc will be delighted.
Hmmm....genius.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>