Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > News and Gossip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Campers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:16pm
When I first saw the post from Bucks Fizz re London workers/newcomers it also rattled my cage (but I suspected they didn't mean it the way it sounded) and I agree that there have been a couple of anti-newcomers posts on here but also I have had a couple of convo's in the village too. I even had one of those conversations where a person moaned and moaned about newcomers, usual stuff, house-prices, lack of village involvement, over crowding of schools and facilities, etc, so I pointed out that I am in fact a newcomer and was told, of course we don't mean you! It's the other ones! Made me laugh as it reminded me of an Autralian couple I know who were involved in an anti-immigrant conversation recently, so they pointed out that they too are immigrants and were told, Oh we don't mean you, we mean the others, you see where I'm going with this!!

It's easy to over simplify the matter and blame 'newcomers' for the fall in footfall in the village but it isn't that simple. A large number of newcomers are families. Often 1 parent is working in town/elsewhere and actually the other parent is working part-time or more locally and spends a lot more time in the village as a result, as is the situation above (I think if I'm reading it correctly) and in fact my own situation, never have I spent so much time locally (and the location of locally has changed numerous times over the years) since I had my daughter.

40% of our population in the village falls between the ages of 30-59, 27% of the population is over 59, more than the national average. One could argue that if that 27% spent more time and money in the village, especially given they are the 'cash rich' generation (if we are to believe the reports, ha ha!) then every village shop/business would be laughing, maybe we should blame the retired people!! But again that wouldn't be at all fair. The reasons will no doubt be complex.

But even Bucks Fizz has posted in the past that they now do most of their shopping in Gerrards Cross and certainly the vast majority of their food shopping outside of the village, and nobody can doubt their love and devotion of the village. So maybe one could argue that we don't have the correct mix of shops/businesses to draw people in, or the lack of free parking puts people off, or too many nail bars, indians and various other issues. I tell you what if you have an answer the Chamber of Commerce would love to hear from you!

But we can not not blame one segment of our community, in fact most of us are 'newcomers'. Between 1801-1901 our population rose by 700, since 1901 it has risen by 13,000. I've seen 'newcomers' help with all kinds of charities, events, PTA's and regularly see them shopping in the village alongside some more established residents. We need to come together and be united in making our village the best we can make it.

Please don't be put off joining in ma0nps as and when you could possibly have time and don't feel guilty if you don't have time! Trust me I know of PLENTY of people who have lots of time on their hands and wouldn't dream of helping with anything or shopping locally. Your post really struck a cord with me, don't feel guilty, if you're working and have a young family you've more than enough to do. But if ever you do want to spend a sunday morning changing the flags or a few hours closing the road for fun night or helping with anything else at all trust me you'll be welcomed with open arms and find some lovely people from all walks of life.

Edited by EmmaO - 25 July 2017 at 3:23pm
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:16pm
Good god I go on!!! That looks long!! Sorry folks!!!!!
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

So glad to hear this, Man0ps. And GXCSP, for those residents who never even venture into the village, it would be pretty hard to pick up litter, nor even to care. I daren't visit the common in case the travellers have left it in a mess. There are some sorts of litter I'd rather not have to clear up. Anyone had a look?

Well! The parish council did a great job of tidying it up for the kids from CCC to completely trash it on Friday when they broke up! It was littered with dominos boxes and other food/drink rubbish. Haven't been passed there since then.......
Sunray View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 3:27pm
The Village belongs to all of us whether we work in London or have retired here, the events, the social aspects, the community is for everyone, we all have moved here because it is a great place to live.

To ensure it continues to be a great place to live we need to support it, each of us contributing something depending on our ability, spend in the local shops, support the local schools, volunteer at the Library, help at Feast Day, put up the flags, or pick up the litter down your road. The thing is, do something do not just take from the Village, give something back.,
Sunray
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 10:29pm
The beauty of this is, whatever our stand point, clearly we're all united by wanting to see the village thrive!

Clearly I've not been here long enough to know positive and negative changes over time, maybe it's better or worse now than the good/bad old days, but as someone who was fortunate to have a lot of choice last year when my family moved, I would point out that I think it's bloody lovely here! That's why we came.

Very fortunate to have an awesome set of neighbours, and i look forward to getting more and more involved as we make our lives here- no doubt things like being part of a school once our boy's school-age will also help (at this point I'm trying not to get paranoid from other posts on the forum that there aren't enough school spaces and he'll end up being placed in Slough or something!!!)
MV Owner View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MV Owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 10:18am
Thats correct, what a lovely village CSP is
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 10:35am
School places!! 8 years I've spent being paranoid about them 😂😂 we shall see, the developers and council say that we don't need new places after the development as currently there are pupils from outside the village attending the schools therefore village children don't and won't need extra places, we shall see!! What I can say is, my daughter is just about to go into year 4 and her class throughout the infant school had spaces, ave of 28 in the class over the 3 years. Currently the year group is full but includes a couple of children from as far away as Amersham and Chesham. It was a lower birth rate year apparently. But the current year going into year 1 was a bumper year so all spaces at lovel end were taken and catchment was quite strictly enforced, so! I reckon it depends a lot on that years birth rate, but I have yet to meet anyone who couldn't get a place in the village, even if they didn't get their first choice school, hope that allays your fears a bit 😊
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:10pm
and the catchment for this years intake at the infant school is tiny....
need a stella and i need one now !
ma0nps View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ma0nps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:17am
Originally posted by big baggles big baggles wrote:

and the catchment for this years intake at the infant school is tiny....

Well, I'm all about 2 years time! But I'm reassured by what you guys have said!!!
ian View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 12:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>