Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:13pm
Absolutely loving seeing all the old postcards, thanks Watsy, I hope you have lots more.
Sunray
Sponsored Links

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks for the feedback, I've plenty more to post, then I move onto the memorabilia, though not as much of that and some of which I posted a long time ago. Tongue
Henry View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:44pm
Thanks for posting, Great Pictures.
I like the Steam Roller outside the Greyhound in the picture with the horse in the water (3rd picture on 3rd page)
Keep the green belt green
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:26pm
I'm struggling with your "Greyhound, but from the 'roundabout' side," It must be post 1905 as that is when the AA was formed I think. The motorcycle looks somewhat later and there doesn't appear to be the wooden fence between the ford and the road. That makes me think 19320's/30's. But! I have a picture in my mind which must have been very late 1940's/very early 50's with a raised footway past Howard Roberts with the ford on the left with a handrail, but the scene through the Greyhounds arch looks later.... hey ho, the mists of time.

Art 
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:30pm
Whilst on the Greyhound what was the shop in the roadside leg of the arch. I never recall going in there but a small general store or sweet shop nags away at the memory.

Art
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:37pm
The 1935 one.. I'd go for an early morning picture across the Misbourne Valley taken from somewhere between Gravel Hill & Water Hall from the Amersham Road.... could be wrong of course.

Art
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 8:27pm
The aerial view. Ok challenge accepted. Best guess has to be around 1931 I think. Why?

The Greyhound still has the full brick chimney therefore post 1900 ish if some of the other pictures are about correct and, the school doesn't have any air-raid shelters so probably pre 1940. The Market Place is also full built by the look of it and the 1925 O/S map I have only shows it half completed.

Aerial photography was probably post 1st World War and didn't really take hold as an enterprise 'till 1920 onwards and EDIT: the photo is virtually identical to the 1931 picture I found.....

Edit.. firther investigation..  WOW!!!! have a look at these: http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/search?keywords=chalfont&country=global&year=all

Copy & paste the link if it doesn't work direct.

Art

Edited by ArtB - 09 June 2017 at 8:55pm
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 9:08pm
Hi, Art, I'm surprised you did know of this link before. Oh, and the picture is dated 1931 in your link.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 1:54am
Re, the latest picture where you mention the bike shop. I think this is later than 1955. I'm sure the shop on the corner next to bike shop. Was still the co-op until the 60's. It looks to me as if it's shut down in the picture.

Edited by hissing sid - 24 June 2017 at 1:57am
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 10:16am
I remember Mr Clements who was the manager of Stowells off-licence, they had two children, Leo and Veronica. I remember Leo and myself served one Saturday at the 8am Mass at the church (we all had to learn the Latin), and he gave me a lift back on the cross-bar of his bike - I can still recall hurtling down Gold Hill common road on the cross-bar, (no helmets in those days!), absolutely terrified! Mr Clements played the organ at St Joseph's church and he would give a generous discount for the soft drinks & crisps that we bought for the Youth Club in the portakabin at St Joseph's school.

During the '60's there George Newman had a bakery across from the Greyhound.

The Co-Op on the corner was run by Mr Allnutt and Giles Stacey as I recall - the days when the Co-Op paid a 'divi', staff were dressed in white coats and provided personal service.

Up from the Co-Op was an ice-cream parlour/milk bar.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>