Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old pics
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 6:53pm
I've been getting notifications of posts and comments on old village pictures but if I try to post a reply it says error post is closed, any suggestions as obviously others can post replies
Sponsored Links

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 7:07pm
I had the same issue as I wanted to thank Watsy for posting them, they are so interesting, don't know how to resolve it though sorry. Watsy will know how.....
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
Chilternman View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chilternman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:02pm
Over to you Watsy, I was going to say that the House on Austenwood is still there and it must be listed as its stunning and even better from inside the garden. It's Holly Farm if I remember correctly and now screened by trees even was Fifty years ago when I used to play up there, so this must be turn of the century c1900 or before as I imagine the trees grew after the grazing of livestock ceased.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:35am
I suggested to Watsy to keep it a closed thread. It's such a shame when an interesting thread get hijacked by some, making stupid comments.
As you've already done, it was quite simple to start a different thread for comments.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 8:18am
Sid did indeed make the excellent suggestion to lock it, but if you can guess when i'm posting there is a brief window to post in it!

Thanks for the info Chilternman, one day I hope to take photos of the postcards as they are today... though taken me about 10 years to start this thread...

I am also adding them to a Google map, but do those in batches, so you can see what i'm planning to post in advance if you want to spoil the surprise lol. 

EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:07am
Thanks for posting them watsy, makes sense to limit the thread to pics, they are lovely to see.
The artist formerly known as Bobblehead :)
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 12:19pm
Whan Cross - Welders Lane - Check out http://www.the-limes.com/postcards/chalfont-st-peter/csp-104/

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:04pm
That is a better link.  Some good postcards on there too.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:16pm
The Chalfont Park 1927 photo. My guess is that  it is/was Home Farm. It was on the right hand side as you went up the track through (well over the little footbridge) the ford, past the weir at the end of the lake up towards Chalfont Lodge.

Why? Well it is obviously on a slope and the only other two buildings that show on the 1926 map I have that might fit are on the flat. One being "The Cottage" (between the Golf Club and Chalfont Park House) and that doesn't have the porch in the photo and the backdrop doesn't look right, and the other being Chalfont Lodge itself.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:24pm
Art, I thought that myself.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>