Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horse & Trap Milk Delivery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horse & Trap Milk Delivery
    Posted: 06 January 2016 at 6:52pm
I have a vague memory of a lady, Peggy (?), who used to deliver milk around Chalfont St Peter, (also possibly GX), with a horse and trap in the 1950's - anyone recall her?
Was she connected to the thatched dairy that stood at the V-intersection in Oak End Way?

Sponsored Links

Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2016 at 10:00am
I remember the thatched dairy.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2016 at 1:31pm
I also remember Peggy, did she then go on to dilivering milk for the co-op? Used to drive a electric cart, bigger than what Express used.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 6:57pm
I believe she did Sid.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 7:52pm
She used to drive that float, all the way from High Wycombe in the morning and back after her delivery. Thus the bigger float to carry more milk and more miles on a charge.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2016 at 9:23pm
I remember a horse and trap delivery at Gravel Hill- I think it was Pocock and Rayner.
They were on the triangle of Oak End Way.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2016 at 6:29pm
Yes, thanks Dot, that's the name that I couldn't think of, Pocock & Rayner dairy.
 Post Reply Post Reply