Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kings Hall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kings Hall
    Posted: 29 September 2015 at 6:53pm
Anyone remember Kings Hall in Hampden Road, off The Vale? Was it used as a dancing venue in the early days? It was used for auctions latterly before it was sold for commercial purposes.
Who built it? When was it built? Why was it built, can find no history of it.
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2015 at 8:30pm
Next to the scout hut,. Yes, it was a dance hall once. But, I think that was probably way back in the war years.
I remember older relatives talking about it.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2015 at 1:18pm
The best I can find with a little help, It stopped being a hall for rental ( dances, wedding, meeting etc) around 1955. It then became a warehouse for storing carpet.
It seemed one of my aunts cleaned there.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2015 at 3:25pm
They also used to have village talent/recitals for kids in there when I was small.  Plus I went to school there because it was used as overflow for the primary school in the 50s. It was very much a central point in the village before the community centre was built. 
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 11:26am
I went to school in there in the late 50's, because before Lovel end school was built it was both infants and juniors in the school at the bottom and we had classes in the Kings Hall, the church hall, the canteen and a hut down a pathway to Churchfield Rd which was known as Mrs Bennells class but I'm not sure what the building was originally, I think something to do with the dairy.
The Kings Hall was basically a community centre before the one by the playing fields was built.
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 1:06pm

When was Lovel end built? If I remember correctly, it started of as part of the Junior school.
Hissing Sid

Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 2:52pm
I think it was built about '58 or. '59 Hissing Sid
Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 4:57pm
My class was one of the first to go to Lovel End School.  It was built for infants and we were in the Juniors so I remember how tiny the toilets seemed to us! But much improved on the chemical toilet we had to use when housed in the that hall by the old Dairy.  There was no running water in the hail either and the boys used to bring a bucket of water back from the main school after playtime. 
Lovel End only had two classes up there at the start and I think it had to be around 1958/59. 
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Butterfly Butterfly wrote:

My class was one of the first to go to Lovel End School.  It was built for infants and we were in the Juniors so I remember how tiny the toilets seemed to us! But much improved on the chemical toilet we had to use when housed in the that hall by the old Dairy.  There was no running water in the hail either and the boys used to bring a bucket of water back from the main school after playtime. 
Lovel End only had two classes up there at the start and I think it had to be around 1958/59. 

So, reading the second sentence "It was built for infants and we were in the Juniors so I remember how tiny the toilets seemed to us!"
I think I was correct in saying " it was built for the infants. But, the juniors used it at first"
Now if I remember correctly. As you said " there where just 2 classrooms" it was a few of years later. When they added to it, to make a bigger school. Then it became the infant school.

I also went there, I'm sure as a junior. I don't remember using the hut next to the dairy. Probably because I wasn't good enough. Or maybe, I was too good, if it was Mrs Bennells class.

Edited by hissing sid - 03 October 2015 at 6:51pm
Hissing Sid

Post Reply Post Reply