Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jolly Farmer Pub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jolly Farmer Pub
    Posted: 26 November 2014 at 3:20pm
I am researching The Jolly Farmer Pub for my friend of 50 years, Jack Harvey  who is now aged 95 years lives in a Care Home and has dementia. Jack served in the RAF for 40+ years.
I am trying to put together a "Book of Memories" to give him at Christmas.  I did one a while ago and found that looking through the pages and viewing the photos stimulated his memory and he got involved in the conversation.  The book has disappeared, as so many things do in the care home, and cannot be found.

Jack's sister and brother-in-law, Tom and Lucy Davies used to run The Jolly Farmer pub in Chalfont St Peter. I was wondering if there is anyone who remembers them or Jack Harvey, who used to visit his sister and help out behind the bar frequently.  If anyone has any photos of them or of the Jolly Farmer Pub and would like to share with me I would be most appreciative.
Best wishes 
Mike Burnett

Mike
Sponsored Links

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 8:43am
It's worth googling 'Jolly Farmer Chalfont st Peter Bucks'. There's an image of the couple with their extensive sandwich list at this link: http://chalfontstpeter.com/history/jolly-farmer-menu-1960s.pdf
Burny View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 11:08am
Many thanks Bucks Fizz for your response.  I have downloaded the menu from the Jolly Farmer thanks, but it it is poor quality and not sure if I can improve it.  
If you see anything else about please let me know.
Kind regards
Burny

Mike
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 12:02pm
You might consider buying him a copy of Colin Seabright's book 'Chalfont St Peter and Gerrards Cross' in the 'Images of England series, published in paperback by The History Press. It has lots of old photos of the neighbour hood and o page 34, there's a lovely old photo of the Jolly Farmer and on of the view from the pub (looking down Gold Hill Common). You could scan the images from the book.
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2014 at 5:44pm
If I have time, i'll dig out the original and re-scan it for you if you want a higher resolution version.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 6:56pm
I remember their 'famous' sandwich list, it was quite sophisticated (and expensive) for its time and the foreign bank notes that used to be displayed in the bar. Tom had greased back black hair sand his wife had a head of blonde cascading locks. 
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 8:05pm
Wasn't there sandwich list in the Guinness book of records at one time?
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Burny View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 10:01am
What a great respose. so much more than I expected. Thanks Bucks Fizz for your tip about Colin Seabright's book 'Chalfont St Peter and Gerrards Cross. I have placed an order for a copy. Also thanks to Watsy for offering to re-scan the Menu in a higher resolution.  Perhaps you could let me know when it has been done so I can take a copy.
Best wishes and kind regards
Burny
Mike
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 10:00pm
In the days of the famous sandwich list the saloon bar was very much occupied by the gin & tonic Jaguar brigade.
I remember two gay bar men being sacked because they had been caught in bed together, they were living upstairs in the pub. Of course in those days, as strange as it may seem nowadays, homosexuality was illegal.
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2014 at 5:55am
My Dad once was interviewed by the police while supping his Sunday lunchtime pint. Apparently it following an alleged incident of poaching the previous morning when a local police officer was nearly run over . Foolishly the officer tried to stop the car by raising his hand while standing in the middle of the track. My Dad's car was identified as it was parked in the Jolly Farmer car park.
They were all given a ticking off. He continued ,with many other Chalfont men , to get a rabbit for the pot.
local born and bred
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>