Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Line Coaches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Line Coaches
    Posted: 24 October 2014 at 6:44pm
When I was a young lad living in CSP I often used to wonder why the final destination of the two Green Line coaches, the 709 and 710 (if my memory serves me correctly), were Godstone and Reigate.
In those days they always seemed such exotic faraway places to me, but I wonder why those destinations wer chosen and not others?

P.S. On reflection the numbers may be wrong, was it 710 & 711, and was Crawley one of the destinations? Anyone know?
Sponsored Links

hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2014 at 8:05pm
I think it was the 709 & 710 that came from Chesham via Amersham and came through the village. The 711 went to High Wycombe via Gerrards Cross.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2014 at 11:50pm
Where did the 445 bus start from? I remember it turned around at the packhorse and we had to wait for a bus to chalfont .
Anyone remember the miniature green line bus that used to give children rides at (I think) the fete at the convent?
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 12:40am
I think the 455. Went from the packhorse to chalfont common via along the top of gold hill common. And along the bottom.
I think for awhile it might have gone up to old jobs
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:25am
I think you are thinking of the 305a used to get it from Gerrards Cross to save a long walk over common.
If it was that bus would'nt have had to get off at packhorse and get another bus to chalfont. I wonder if it was from high wycombe or beaconsfield or even uxbridge if we missed the green line from uxbridge 50 years ago+ happy days
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 3:06am
Yes, you are correct. It was the 305 and the 305a
Hissing Sid

Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

When I was a young lad living in CSP I often used to wonder why the final destination of the two Green Line coaches, the 709 and 710 (if my memory serves me correctly), were Godstone and Reigate.
In those days they always seemed such exotic faraway places to me, but I wonder why those destinations wer chosen and not others?

P.S. On reflection the numbers may be wrong, was it 710 & 711, and was Crawley one of the destinations? Anyone know?

http://www.eplates.info/709s.html

http://www.eplates.info/711s.html

Edited by hissing sid - 25 October 2014 at 3:16am
Hissing Sid

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 4:32am
How times change! Nowadays youngsters would have no idea where a bus stop is located let alone the bus number.
I used to know years ago who were bus spotters and collected routemasters numbers,similar to train spotters.
Just another innocent hobby lost by today's tech minded generation.
local born and bred
bgoodman View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgoodman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2014 at 6:01pm
It was the 709 and 710. The 711 ran via Gerrards Cross and Beaconsfield.
The 709 ran to Crawley and Godstone, the 710 originally to Crawlay but I remember it being cut back to Baker Street.

They were both limited stop Services (express :) ) and I remember there was a threepence surcharge............
bg
mikec34 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 8:37am
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

http://www.eplates.info/709s.html

http://www.eplates.info/711s.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>