Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 6:35am
Husseys was a builders merchant and their yard was up at the top of the village on the corner of Grove Lane and Layters Green Lane. Now replaced with a block of apartments. Husseys is now part of Husseys And Saunders in Potkiln Lane.
Randalls builders merchants had 3 yards, the main one was in The Vale, where Grant and Stone is now, their offices and transport depot was in Church Lane, the big building on the left just past Churchfield Road ( occupied for a few years by Techspan who made motorway signs ) . They also had a "top yard" in Landsdowne road which ran between there and Lovel road.
Does anyone else remember Sankeys, a big plumbers merchant which occupied a huge site on the corner of the High Street and Chiltern Hill. All of the area which is now taken by the newer buildings with Corals and the big office on the corner. Sankeys had the whole of that corner , right around to Hiljon Crescent, including all the buildings which are now Magellan Aerospace.
Sponsored Links

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 7:45am
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Jack Taylor and his wife Mazy with those two daughters !!! Also had a son

I used to work at the garage next door to Johns cafe on the service road Gravel Hill (now Tescos garage) when it was Chalfont Service Station.
Jack and Maisy Taylor had 2 daughters Libby was one I forgot the others name, but they also had 2 sons, Aubrey and John, Aubrey worked with his dad on the farm over the road and John was a roof tiler, when I was driving around the Chalfonts, you would often see John running up a ladder with the roof tiles balancing on his head.
When I was serving my apprenticeship at the garage one of my first duties was to have to go into Johns cafe at 7am with a breakfast order, mainly for dripping or buttered toast.
I remember having a toasted bacon sandwich but with dripping instead of butter on it, and it was the best bacon sarnie ever, that was a first for me, dripping with bacon I mean.
I would be greeted by John, Ruby, Pearl and Bet, some very very fond memories.
Oh, and by the way, next door to Jack and Maisy Taylor was Jack Shallis a little old man who was the part time tea boy at the garage.
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 8:18pm
Was there a windsors shoe shop next to a dry cleaners at the start of the lower road. I think a mrs Mitchie used to work there a very nice lady.
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 8:39pm
I think I remember a ladies hair salon called celias around the corner from the church near falmers travel agents but I'm going back a bit. I'm sure we then moved to a hair stylist Margarets.
who had a small salon at the side of her house next to her parents Mr and Mrs Windsor at Gravel Hill.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 10:47pm
Heath's Stores, corner of Nicol Road & Lovel Road - I remember the son, John Heath, he went to school in High Wycombe as I did. He was a year below me, and if I remember he had a younger brother whose name I cannot recall.
Just up Nicol Road, past Heath's Stores, on the right-hand side, was a small engineering workshop long since demolished and turned into housing. It employed half-a-dozen people in its time

Anyone remember someone called Michael Ferguson who lived along the service road where Tesco's is and where John's Cafe used to be?

Didn't the people who ran John's Cafe have a shop opposite Baileys in The phygtle, Chalfont Common before they opened the cafe?

Clarke the coal merchant had a yard on Field Way next to the alley way going down from Lovel Road - Pennington Road - Field Way to the Playing Fields. He used to store his coal and lorry there, and he had a bungalow a short way up Field Way, on the same side, going towards Boundary Road. The yard was eventually sold and a house now stands on it. I believe the house on the other side of the alley was belonged to Tommy Bowler who used to be a useful winger (remember them?) for Chalfont st Peter FC, in the days of big Jack Stone being in goal.
Mr Clarke had a very good looking daughter called Josephine if I recall!
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 11:12pm
Was Heath's store once known as the plantation stores? I seem to remember a small factory in Nicol Rd that used to make small cabinets and I think there was a small British Legion building just up on the left hand side.
I remember Mr Fox the coal merchant l think there were a few generations carrying on the business.
Seem to remember a dentist opposite the co-op called Mr Payne(not joking). Thanks for all the memories.
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Was Heath's store once known as the plantation stores?

I believe it was.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Was Heath's store once known as the plantation stores? I seem to remember a small factory in Nicol Rd that used to make small cabinets and I think there was a small British Legion building just up on the left hand side.
I remember Mr Fox the coal merchant l think there were a few generations carrying on the business.
Seem to remember a dentist opposite the co-op called Mr Payne(not joking). Thanks for all the memories.

Re Mr Payne the dentist, his practice was infact not in the village. But, in Gerrards cross. He shard an office with another dentist by the name of Mr War ( War & Payne) there practice was next to the sports shop Woodward & Stalader.

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 2:25pm
Re the plantation stores, John Heath had a younger brother, my age, called Geoffrey
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 1:23am
Re dentist. Could it be possible that Mr Payne was in Chalfont before Gerrards Cross I'm sure we went to him before going to mr Stobie opposite Ezra's newsagents around the corner from the Baptist church at gold hill long before the shops where woodward    and stalder were.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>