Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names from the Past ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:24am
Didn't Mr Stobie live at what is now Rock House care home, just a short walk to his surgery?
Sponsored Links

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 11:27am
When Darvills was the barber shop at the top of Market Place, was the old chap (well he probably wasn't old but he appeared to me to be old, but then I was just a youngster!), called Mr Waite? And why does the name Brenda Waite ring a bell? Chalfont Common?
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:53pm
Yes rich kid he was, I was at school with his granddaughter Janet Wait and there was an older sister, perhaps Valery
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 2:03pm
Went to school with carole waite and wendy waite
Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 4:00pm
Janet's sister was wendy ,not Valery!
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 10:36pm
Who was the man often referred to as Churchill? He used to always wear a suit and waist-coat.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Who was the man often referred to as Churchill? He used to always wear a suit and waist-coat.

Whould this have been Winston Ford, brother of Ted
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Originally posted by Rich Kid Rich Kid wrote:

Whould this have been Winston Ford, brother of Ted

I believe you're right Sid. Where did Winston live? What did he do?
IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Garry Garry wrote:

Originally posted by hissing sid hissing sid wrote:

Jack Taylor and his wife Mazy with those two daughters !!! Also had a son

I used to work at the garage next door to Johns cafe on the service road Gravel Hill (now Tescos garage) when it was Chalfont Service Station.
Jack and Maisy Taylor had 2 daughters Libby was one I forgot the others name, but they also had 2 sons, Aubrey and John, Aubrey worked with his dad on the farm over the road and John was a roof tiler, when I was driving around the Chalfonts, you would often see John running up a ladder with the roof tiles balancing on his head.
When I was serving my apprenticeship at the garage one of my first duties was to have to go into Johns cafe at 7am with a breakfast order, mainly for dripping or buttered toast.
I remember having a toasted bacon sandwich but with dripping instead of butter on it, and it was the best bacon sarnie ever, that was a first for me, dripping with bacon I mean.
I would be greeted by John, Ruby, Pearl and Bet, some very very fond memories.
Oh, and by the way, next door to Jack and Maisy Taylor was Jack Shallis a little old man who was the part time tea boy at the garage.
IanP View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:39am
The other Taylor daughter is Margie, I went out with her a long time ago and have many happy memories I knew Libby as well she would sometimes come with us when we went clubbing. My daughter has recently moved to Gerrards Cross and I couldn't resist a drive up Gravel Hill (memory Lane) it looks so different now I don't think their house is there any longer. Does anyone know what happened to Margie and Libby and the Taylor family farm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 15>