Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross NSE Development

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Poll Question: Should the 'village' carry on the legal fight against the development
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [77.50%]
9 [22.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2013 at 1:12pm
I cannot believe that any retailer would agree to two thirds warehouse space, even 25 years ago. I did work at the amersham tescos about a year after it opened and can say that those were not the proportions of the floor to warehouse space. The only traffic build tends to be at the roundabout as nessum dorma has said and even then it is minimal. The opening of tesco in Amersham also provided 500 much needed jobs for unskilled workers. I am in favour of of the school moving and more possible jobs in any new shops built plus any increase in jobs at the school and the much needed boost to the local building economy that will be provided by this development.
Sponsored Links

ribeye View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ribeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 5:27pm
I think we need more school facilities and more retail space. Also 200 new homes will put a strain on the local services.. especially doctors, dentists..  Development yes but it needs to be in proportion to the community.. 
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 1:40pm
What happens at Holy Cross will define the village for decades to come.

Many people look at the precinct and ask how it was allowed to be built?  Why it was not in keeping with the village? The answer was there was no-one to stop it and someone made a lot of money out of it..

People in future will ask why the Holy Cross slum was allowed to be built? Why so many houses in such a small area and why no thought to the effects on traffic and infrastructure? The reason as always, someone is going to make a lot of money out of it.

Only by standing up to the plans and offering a real alternative more in keeping with the village, will we stop another mistake.

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 4:18pm
Seems work has started on the NSE.
stop HS2.
Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

What happens at Holy Cross will define the village for decades to come.

Many people look at the precinct and ask how it was allowed to be built?  Why it was not in keeping with the village? The answer was there was no-one to stop it and someone made a lot of money out of it..

People in future will ask why the Holy Cross slum was allowed to be built? Why so many houses in such a small area and why no thought to the effects on traffic and infrastructure? The reason as always, someone is going to make a lot of money out of it.

Only by standing up to the plans and offering a real alternative more in keeping with the village, will we stop another mistake.

That's a bit of hyperbole, isn't it? There is nothing at all to suggest that these properties will fall into such a state of disrepair to be considered slums. I am sure the same arguements were proffered when Leachcroft and Layters Clsoe was first mooted.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 8:07am
Leachcroft and Layters do not have the intensity of the proposed new development. If people are given space they tend to be happier. Crowd them into a small space on top of each other and only the very poor and dregs of society will end up living there. I predict it will be a no go area within 10 years.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 8:09am
Think Golf Links Estate or Chalk Farm. That's what we are being given.
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 5:57pm
Permission for Newland Park hasn't gone through Chiltern DC has it?
I've lived in the village a few years and never actually seen the inside of Holy Cross and contributes nothing to the village at the moment.  
We need some low cost homes - as Malc said Hillingdon are providing it for local people who've lived in the areas - why can't we?  Paradigm homes who manage the local social housing stock are selling off local properties, not increasing the stock (as far as I can see).  Local facilities and amenities rely on a cross section of people living in the village, not having a void between 20 to 35.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 9:06am
I agree the site should be developed, and am delighted for there to be affordable housing, etc. I just want it to be developed in keeping with the rest of the village and thought given to the impact on local services and how we can mitigate that. In many ways development might be good for the village and local businesses but I support the arrowcroft proposal above the current plans.
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 1:09pm
If the school needs space, they should re-organise the whole of Mill Meadow - which is an eyesore - but has potential to be re-invigorated into a proper sports, social and leisure amenity and a credit to the village / local area.  Chiltern DC and the Parish Council between them own the parcels of relevant land so should be able to do something much better down there.

There will be a few inevitable objections such as moving the allotments a few hundred yards from where they are currently to the other end of the area but everything is possible with that site.

Then you can do something more high density in Holy Cross and they could contribute to the cost of the newer facilities at Mill Meadow.

Just my own thoughts but will never happen as people cannot see past the end of their noses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>