Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross NSE Development

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Poll Question: Should the 'village' carry on the legal fight against the development
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [77.50%]
9 [22.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Cross NSE Development
    Posted: 08 August 2013 at 6:12pm
Should the Parish Council carry on with its fight against the proposed development of Holy Cross?

Please only vote once!

Sponsored Links

Nessun Dorma View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2013 at 9:51pm
I am sorry, but no, I support the development, as do the a good number of retailers and traders in the village. I would imagine a good deal of those employed by them would agree as well. As well as the pointless time effort and cost devoted to this cause. Time and money that the Parish Council could have spent on the services they should be providing the village. 

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 08 August 2013 at 9:52pm
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 9:57am
How much has it cost and future costs do we know?
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 12:59pm
I support the fight absolutely. There are empty shops in the village (perhaps no-one has noticed?) so clearly we do not need more retail development, and the schools are turning away pupils. We're already getting a railway line we neither want nor need. Perhaps all the proceeds from Feast Day might be put towards our village's fight for its existence. If we don't have a decent school, we'll become a dormitory entirely.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 1:32pm
I  agree spending council tax payers money in this way in the current economic climate is wasteful. There are plenty of things this money could be spent on. I wonder how much money was wasted on the campaign against Tesco coming to Gerrards Cross. We need Some housing for our younger generation and a better selection of shops that would bring people back to shopping in the village. If we dont provide this housing who is going to look after the rapidly aging population of this village. Nurses, police officers, carers retail staff.etc many of them local born and bred here are moving out of the area and working and living elsewhere as they cannot afford to live round here.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 1:59pm
Do you really think the developers are going to build low cost housing at Holy Cross, or indeed that the estate agents are going to either sell it at low cost or rent it out at reasonable rates? I doubt it. Permission has already been ranted for housing development at Newlands Park but, from the plans, none of those houses look as though they will be affordable to key workers.

It will be just like Tesco planning applications - they get agreement to build one thing but it always ends up as something else [eg the traffic issues dictated that Tesco Amersham must be one third retail space and two thirds warehousing but, once planning was granted, it became 100% retail, and consequently became a traffic bottleneck).

Our council have done a great job so far in blocking the sort of house demolition/apartment block construction development which is nowadays blighting GX. I think we should trust their judgement.      
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 2:00pm
line 2: granted, not ranted!.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 6:02pm
Even taking into account all those points i still think that it is not  an appropiate use of local taxpayers money.
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

I support the fight absolutely. There are empty shops in the village (perhaps no-one has noticed?) so clearly we do not need more retail development, and the schools are turning away pupils. We're already getting a railway line we neither want nor need. Perhaps all the proceeds from Feast Day might be put towards our village's fight for its existence. If we don't have a decent school, we'll become a dormitory entirely.

But, they are not turning children away, are they. We have already established that there is capacity left in local schools.

There are very few local traders and retailers who do not support this development. 

To use the Feast Day profits and donations would be wholly inappropriate. People gave their money to support local charities; they thought they knew who they were giving the money to. To re-apportion these funds would be a betrayal of trust. I gave money, trusting the committee to give to the charities they said they were giving it to. If they are giving it to someone else, I want my money back.

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 09 August 2013 at 8:35pm
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nessun Dorma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

Do you really think the developers are going to build low cost housing at Holy Cross, or indeed that the estate agents are going to either sell it at low cost or rent it out at reasonable rates? I doubt it. Permission has already been ranted for housing development at Newlands Park but, from the plans, none of those houses look as though they will be affordable to key workers.

It will be just like Tesco planning applications - they get agreement to build one thing but it always ends up as something else [eg the traffic issues dictated that Tesco Amersham must be one third retail space and two thirds warehousing but, once planning was granted, it became 100% retail, and consequently became a traffic bottleneck).

Our council have done a great job so far in blocking the sort of house demolition/apartment block construction development which is nowadays blighting GX. I think we should trust their judgement.      

I thought the objection, from a few of those who are campaigning against the development, was that they didn't want social or low cost housing, because it affected the value of their own properties. They were unhappy that a load of poor people would be living in the village. Wink 

I don't think traffic at Amersham Tesco is a bottle neck. I drive through there, most days, at peak and although it does get a bit snarly at the roundabout, I only lose two or three minutes, maximum. Most of that traffic is trying to get to the by-pass.

Edited by Nessun Dorma - 09 August 2013 at 10:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>