Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barrack yard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrack yard
    Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:22pm
The Bucks advertiser posted a picture of Barrack yard a few weeks ago. Does anyone know where it was? I have a feeling it was near the George Pub.It was where my father's family lived when they moved to Chalfont in the 1900s. Thanks in advance
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
Sponsored Links

calendergirl View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:27pm
The geroge car park...
calendergirl View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 1:28pm
Sorry George...
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 2:58pm
Thanks very much.
Weekends are a bit like rainbows. They look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 1:17pm
Just a small correction:-
If you were to walk streight down the Market Place, crossed the High Street towards the precinct keeping a little towards what was the Bakers Arms ( Poachers) . This would have been the entrance to Barrack Yard.
The entrance into the Precinct by the George pub was know as The Retreat.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 9:52am

So you can better picture it.

Edited by ArtB - 30 October 2012 at 9:53am
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Calvados Kid View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvados Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 4:18pm
wow that's clever    Clap
verba volant scripta manent
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 8:11am
ArtB, may I ask which map you have and where one might be obtained? I have an 1897 map, which is on the back of Godfrey's Old Ordnance Survey map of the South Ciulterns (1886), but it only covers a small portion of the village, and I'd love to have more maps of the village. Yours must be after 1920, as it shows the Memorial Hall, which was opened by Earl Beatty in 1920.
Libtek View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libtek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 3:28pm
Thanks ArtB. That's a great map and really helpful.
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2012 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

ArtB, may I ask which map you have and where one might be obtained? I have an 1897 map, which is on the back of Godfrey's Old Ordnance Survey map of the South Ciulterns (1886), but it only covers a small portion of the village, and I'd love to have more maps of the village. Yours must be after 1920, as it shows the Memorial Hall, which was opened by Earl Beatty in 1920.

It's from a 1925 O/S map that I acquired a considerable number of years ago.

However, have a look here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html use SL9 9QQ as the postcode and scroll down the list of maps on the right hand side of the screen - 1925 - Pre WWII 1:2500 is the same. - £16 as a pdf

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>