Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graves
    Posted: 16 October 2012 at 5:06pm
Hi

Could anyone tell me where people of Chalfont St Peter were buried in 1924?  My Gt Gt Grandmother, Julia Leslie, lived in the village all her married life and died there in 1924.  I would dearly love to find her final resting place.

Thanks
Kate
Sponsored Links

Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 9:16pm
Probably in the Garden of Rest, which is situated behind the shops in Market Place, the entrance being on Church Lane, near the medical centre. Sadly, with the exception of the Baptist burials, all the headstones there have been moved away from their graves and placed around the edges of the gardens. There is a list of the names of those buried there somewhere on line. I'll try to find the link for you and if I can I'll add it to this thread.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 9:27pm
I found the link, and there are some Leslie's listed:-
http://www.chalfontstpeter-pc.gov.uk/downloads/garden-rest-list-easter-2009.pdf
Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 10:14pm
Thank you for your reply.  I should have mentioned that I visited the Garden of Rest when I was last down in Chalfont St Peter but my Gt Gt Grandmother's grave is not there.

Thank you for going to the trouble of finding the link for me.

Kate
AntonyMMM View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntonyMMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 9:54am
Kate

Finding burials can be very difficult, especially from the Victorian period onwards with the opening of municipal and private cemeteries as churchyards became full, and then later the introduction of cremation (from 1902).

There is some information about Buckinghamshire Burial places here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507310.0.html

Other things you can try are to look for the burial of close relatives - especially parents - people often made arrangements to be buried at the "family" church.

Otherwise it means going through the registers of parishes working outwards from Chalfont St Peter - Most of those can be found at the Bucks History centre in Aylesbury.

Bucks Family History society may also be able to help.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/

Antony
http://www.chalfontresearch.co.uk

Edited by AntonyMMM - 17 October 2012 at 10:07am
Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 10:30am
Hi Antony

Thank you for all the info - very kind. 
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

Probably in the Garden of Rest, which is situated behind the shops in Market Place, the entrance being on Church Lane, near the medical centre. Sadly, with the exception of the Baptist burials, all the headstones there have been moved away from their graves and placed around the edges of the gardens. There is a list of the names of those buried there somewhere on line. I'll try to find the link for you and if I can I'll add it to this thread.

Just a small correction. The Garden of rest is at the top of Joiners Lane.
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Gingerk8 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gingerk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:54pm
Thumbs%20Up
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 4:25pm
No Hissing Sid, the one at the top of Joiner's Lane is in fact the modern garden of rest, opened, I think, in the 1950s. The old garden of rest is the one locatedbehind the shops (well worth a look if you're interested in history), and the even older one is of course around the church.
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2012 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Bucks Fizz Bucks Fizz wrote:

No Hissing Sid, the one at the top of Joiner's Lane is in fact the modern garden of rest, opened, I think, in the 1950s. The old garden of rest is the one locatedbehind the shops (well worth a look if you're interested in history), and the even older one is of course around the church.

Here we go,

Half way down the part of Churchfield road, that runs from the Vale to to Church lane. There used to if not now, a pathway that went from Churchfied road to the school.

The cemetery that went from Church lane up to this path was and I guess still is the church cemetery. the cemetery that went from this path towards the Vale (but not as far as the Vale) was the Baptist Cemetery. The Cemetery at the top of Joiners Lane is the Garden of Rest (check Google maps)
The Garden of rest was for persons who had no particular religion, John & Jane Doe, Those poor soles who took there own lives, plus I'm not sure but I think also those who took the lives of others. This Cemetery was owned by Bucks County Council.

Most of the graves in the village, a lot at St James Church in Gerrards Cross, some also in Denham, Fulmer & Chalfont St Giles from the end of the second word war until around the mid seventies were Dug by Jim Heath, most by his son Bubbles Heath & a few by Bubbles brother Bunny.

How do I know this? I spent many hours in the 50's and 60's talking to these grave diggers to whom I am related.

As for history. I can trace my family back around 450 year in the village. As for you?Big%20smile

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>