Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross - latest proposals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 8:22am
You may get some emotive replies on this one. I didn't have anyone at the school myself, but parents who did tell me the Swiss order of nuns running it decided suddenly to shut down and retreat to Switzerland (I know others will correct me if I'm wrong). They apparently sold off the site at a significant profit to developers. One mother told me her daughters came home at end of Christmas term with a letter saying 'we're now closed, you'll need to send your daughters elsewhere from early January'. This prompted a panic, as it is almost impossible to find places just days before the new term starts. One outraged parent allegedly saw the Mother superior in the street and threw a tin of paint over her. One of the teachers at the school confirmed to me they'd been taken by surprise at the decsion as much as the parents and pupils had. By all accounts however, it was a very good school with happy pupils. Tough luck on those about to take crucial exams.
Sponsored Links

Anita View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:16am
I have to admit that I thought the school had given the parents a years notice to find alternative schools and also I am under the impression that the School is still owned by the Swiss nuns and will be sold once the planning permission is decided. Still very sad to see a wonderful school site empty.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:12am
Thanks. Very interesting to know some of the history. I have met one of the nuns still living in the new accommodation but clearly didn't ask!!
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by lesleyr lesleyr wrote:

Can I ask why you think this is a hair brained proposal ?

Bus loads of children coming from far and wide. Given the number of cars at St Joseph's church on a Sunday morning it owuld seem the majority of Catholics do live locally.
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 3:54pm
I understand that the descision to close the school was due to a number of factors.it was a descision that was not in the hands of the nuns who were still at the convent i knew someone who worked there at the time of its closure and the parents of children were given 2 1/2 terms notice.
 As for the buses we would have these whether they are picking children up to go to other schools or to drop them off for a school in chalfont. I dont actually see the difference between a new school or chalfont academy taking over the site the numbers of children going to the school will be dictated by the size of the site and anything else they decide to build there.
born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2012 at 5:59pm
 The school did give notice but it was still a big shock. My daughter went there 20 0dd years ago and was very happy there. There is a big demand for a Catholic secondary school which also caters for other religions. The site would be perfect. The local Catholic church has many followers and holds 5 services every Sunday which gives you an indication of the potential demand. Let's all hope regardless of which school finally gets the ok that it gets built and gets up and running soon.
local born and bred
Yorkie View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 3:34pm
Does anyone know what the latest is with the propposed development?
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 9:33pm
is the firm interested ?
need a stella and i need one now !
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Yorkie Yorkie wrote:

Does anyone know what the latest is with the propposed development?

PRESS RELEASE 16th APRIL 2012

CHALFONT
ST PETER PARISH COUNCIL GRANTED PERMISSION FOR JUDICIAL REVIEW OF HOLY CROSS PLANNING
PERMISSION IN THE HIGH COURT

Chalfont St Peter Parish
Council has been granted leave to continue to a full Judicial Review in
relation to the much disputed planning application put in by the Sisters of the
Holy Cross at the site of the old Holy Cross Convent in Chalfont St. Peter. At two hearings in March, at the Royal Courts in London, representatives of both
Chiltern District Council and Chalfont St. Peter Parish Council put forward arguments which were considered by Mr. Justice Ockelton. On the 13th of April
2012 he gave his Judgement which supported Chalfont St. Peter Parish Council's claim that the Holy Cross planning permission should be examined by a higher court. A date for the Judicial Review is not expected until later this year.

Chalfont St Peter Parish Council allege that Chiltern District Council failed to
consider and uphold its own policy to protect educational land in the Village
when they passed planning permission in August 2010 for 198 dwellings and a
care home on the site. The Parish Council has always argued that there should
be a broader perspective of the issues that should pay proper consideration to
moving the overcrowded Church of England Academy School to the Holy Cross site along with other developments that would help relieve many of the current
planning constraints in Chalfont St Peter.

In addition to the Judicial Review Chalfont St Peter Parish Council are also challenging The District Council's Core Strategy which they allege also fails to properly grapple with the educational issues in the area. Vice Chairman Cllr Richard Allen who has been coordinating both legal challenges said "Almost every concern we raised earlier in the planning process was ignored.
At various stages we highlighted the fact that the Holy Cross site was a
once in a lifetime opportunity to redesign Chalfont St Peter. Rather than just
dump uniform development in one site we�d like to see the educational use
retained and incorporated into a well planned development that takes into
account the present and long term future needs of the community. This perfectly reasonable approach has been ignored by Chiltern District Council's planners leaving us with no other option but to take legal action"

oldchris View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2012 at 11:49pm
good stuff.
stop HS2.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>