Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross - latest proposals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Cross - latest proposals
    Posted: 30 September 2011 at 9:12am
There hasn't been much comment on the forum about the latest (alternative) proposals from Arrowcroft for development of the Holy Cross site.

I know the parish council and SENSE support it, since it is better than the initial plan from Gerald Eve and better matches the preferences expressed in the village survey, particularly in respect of huge improvements to the school/academy.

There are some reservations about the thought of a supermarket, but overall I think it will be an improvement for the village, having the area opened up for public access.  Now the Chamber of Commerce have come out in favour of the Arrowcroft proposals - here is their statement:

The Chalfont St Peter Chamber of Commerce welcomes the concept proposed by Arrowcroft.  This concept is far more sympathetic to the concerns voiced by the residents of Chalfont St Peter when compared with the Gerald Eves plan.  With adequate planning and consultation with local businesses, we are hopeful that the additional 100 new homes will translate into increased business for the majority of businesses in the Village. The management of walkways, parking and pedestrian and vehicular access will prove crucial to ensuring a productive and smooth flow of people, cars and resources around and through the site.

We are not opposed, in principle, to a new supermarket but we also appreciate that the addition of a supermarket will concern some people about the future of many of our village shops and this is something that must be addressed in terms of the consents, permissions and/or restrictions placed on the supermarket. Clearly further consultation will have to be undertaken in this regard. For example, it is understood that the proposed supermarket will be a ‘food only’ store of a certain size.  We understand that the proposed benefits of a new store are that it will help retain, and hopefully increase, the number of local residents shopping in the village.  It should also attract new customers from neighbouring villages and towns.  These new customers will have a chance to sample the individuality of our independent shops which they may not otherwise be made aware of. However, there is always the risk that the supermarket, particularly as it is to be screened off from Market Place by the existing trees, will deter these increased shoppers from venturing out of the supermarket.  

On balance, our committee is encouraged by the prospect of this development.  We are committed to work closely with the Parish Council and other local groups to ensure that the development retains, as closely as possible, the village feel & ethos.

Should you wish to contact the Chamber of Commerce to discuss your views please feel free to contact us on: president@cspchamber.co.uk

All the best.

Regards

Nathan Mincham

That's the answer - what's the question?
Sponsored Links

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 4:28pm
 We all haver to be realists. There will be a development in the village.
The recent scheme from Arrowcroft seems at first glance reasonable.
As regards the supermarket,it could prove a decent alternative to  Tesco.
 The improvement for the local schooling is vital.

local born and bred
Bucks Fizz View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2011 at 8:43pm
One of my concerns is that Tesco's GX store was supposed to be 'food only', yet I recently saw kindles for sale in there (no, not Kinder eggs, but electronic kindles).
Exp. Interiors View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exp. Interiors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 1:23pm
You're absolutely right. We need to ensure that it does stay that way 'if' this development gets off the ground.
Expression Interiors Ltd -
Kitchen Design and Installation
For free quotation please call: 01753 884041
Email: nathan@expressioninteriors.co.uk
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2012 at 5:03pm
So now they are considering a Catholic Free School on the site - just what we need, bus loads of school children coming to CSP from far and wide. Is there any truth in this? Surely the Arrowcroft makes more sense and benefits the local community more than this hair brained proposal

http://www.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/south-buckinghamshire-news/local-buckinghamshire-advertiser-news/2012/01/26/free-school-set-for-holy-cross-site-82398-30205718/
lesleyr View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesleyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 10:45pm
Can I ask why you think this is a hair brained proposal ?
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 10:53pm
My thoughts also, it had been a Catholic school for years. Whats changed?
Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 8:05am
I agree. Since we have a major Catholic parish church - St Joe's, and also its school, we have a sizeable Catholic community. Anyone know if the proposed school is to be a secondary school which St Joe's would feed into, or is it to replace or supplement the current junior school? Either way, it seems reasonable to me. We could do a whole lot worse.
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bucks Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 8:10am
Ah, just read the article properly. It is indeed proposed to be a secondary shcool. That is a loical adjunct to the feeder school, St Joe's. It means the Catholic children in the village and around won't have to be bussed out to Catholic secondaries. It won't discriminate against non Catholics but it will offer parents of local kids a choice. It might offer excellence. There is a demand for this. The Community college is ok but it's massive.
EmmaO View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 8:17am
I think this is very interesting indeed. Given that we have recently had news that school places are going to be hard to find by 2020 this would make sense. I'm interested to see more. I've only been here a few years, what made the last catholic school there close? Was it lack of demand or just run down so the site could be developed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>