Forum Home Forum Home > General > The Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

American Homeland security

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Dave-R Dave-R wrote:

Australia on the other hand are great! I recently visited and it was quick and the immigration staff were human, having a laugh with everyone etc. Im quite a big guy and they were telling me not to eat too many of their kangaroos, etc etc. Unlike the robot like Yanks.
 I agree. I have visited Oz yearly for the last 6 years. Always friendly.
 I was in America very recently and our American hosts all stated that their homeland security were horrendous,unfriendly,unhelpful.
local born and bred
Sponsored Links

Eaton View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2011 at 7:18pm
I must admit that the longest queue to get into a country I've ever experienced was at Auckland airport.  However the officers were laughing and chatting to anyone who initiated a conversation and even though I was slightly short tempered after such a long flight and absolutely desperate for a nicotine fix I completely understood the reason for the delay. 

My brother-in-law admitted that he'd previously worn a pair of boots in his packed hold luggage and hadn't washed the treads, so they asked him to unpack his case and take the boots out so that they could disinfect them but this was done with the minimum of fuss. 

I only hope that our arrival into Auckland in Jan next year is as 'easy', particularly as we are flying in one hit this time!

Edited by Eaton - 10 September 2011 at 7:19pm
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 12:35am
update on my weekly German experience, with the usual ruthless no nonsense manner today on my return from Munich, Steffen, Damen, Gruppen, Militärmusikoffizier - Anwärter bag search/x-ray spotter number 4 saw my hair gel was 105ml not 100ml, this after at least 26 visits to Europe this year so far. ....
Said dangerous toxin/device was removed from my hand luggage and thrown into clear German waste bin.
www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 8:02am
a couple of years ago I flew over about 10 days from Heathrow -> Copenhagen -> Stockholm -> Oslo and back to Heathrow - next week Heathrow to Estonia -> Latvia and back via Austria and it was here they pointed out that I had a "leatherman" multi tool in my hand luggage, which was taken away and given back to my when we landed at Heathrow! so much for all these security checks/scans etc...
JR was ere
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 2:21pm
i flew to dubai with goods/ graphics supplies for an exhibition, - it was boxed up  as hand luggage and sent with  us,

- it was scanned and checked but not opened at heathrow before we  got on the lufthansa flight,

- when we got to dubai and  opened the box  along with my colleague - there was the kit we needed including some vinyl graphics- what we did not know was inside the sealed graphics kit  there was a  a scalpel to cut the vinyl with.......scans never picked that up !!!

Edited by big baggles - 15 September 2011 at 2:23pm
need a stella and i need one now !
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 8:29am
I can do a new test next week on our global security reporting as I am going to Qatar then Korea, so both ends of the spectrum.. watch this space

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 9:35am
i will  be in the US at the end of the month too so will be interesting to see what other US destinations are like
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2011 at 5:44pm
1 hr 35 mins to get through passport control  at  orlando airport.....

unlike our border controls which if the news is correct is alittle lax right now !!!
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 9:22am

ours is currently a joke, was pinged at Frankfurt on Monday for shoes.. very sensitive machines those Germans have.. coming back to T1 Tuesday same old story.

IRIS gates turned off (funding cut so they are shutting it)

Bio scan passport gates, only 1 out of 3 working (handy hint get in the queue even if you don't have one and you just say oh not working and get bypassed to the human on the other side, saved me 20 mins in the queue)

Normal desks only 4 people on at 19.00 massive queue shameful.

Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 2:40am
Baggles just so you know it is no better at the moment 1 hour 3 mins to get through Passport control at Vegas Airport on Monday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>