Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Cross?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Cross?
    Posted: 03 December 2009 at 8:51pm

Once the building has started there should be no mention of the estate being called the Holy Cross. There should be no legacy to associate it with the sell out of the nuns for profit.

The developers are calling it the Grange estate. Perhaps it should be Grange Hill? More in keeping.

Sponsored Links

Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 8:18am
That's a good idea.

I've lived here for 5 years but I've never been on the site and hadn't seen the buildings. I saw them on the SENSE leaflet that came through the door yesterday and I was surprised at how nice the buildings actually are.

Maybe if we start referring to it as the Grange then we might get to keep some of these historic buildings.
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 9:10am
"I was surprised at how nice the buildings actually are"

so why knock them down ?
JR was ere
Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 10:16am
Sorry, that was the point I was trying to make.

I'm aware that development of the site is inevitable but maybe some of those buildings could be used as the centrepiece of the work. It might help to tie the project together and make it look less like the new-build monstrosity we will no doubt finally get.
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 12:09pm
It could even be the old folks home (care home) that was promised. Although things like that are usually included to sweeten the project and then forgotten when it comes to utalising the minimum space for the maximum profit.

Edited by Malc London - 04 December 2009 at 12:10pm
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 12:41pm
Is the Grange not a listed building?
brewski View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brewski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

It could even be the old folks home (care home) that was promised. Although things like that are usually included to sweeten the project and then forgotten when it comes to utalising the minimum space for the maximum profit.

Five storey flats spring to mind!

Nice.Stern%20Smile
Too many laws...
Too few examples...
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by phisch21 phisch21 wrote:

Is the Grange not a listed building?
Not according to the planning maps for the area.

you'll just need to move the map to the right a little. Amazing the info that is so readily available nowadays. Try some of the other options!

Art

Edited by ArtB - 04 December 2009 at 1:34pm
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 2:49pm
can we get it listed?
Number42 View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2009 at 2:55pm
It isn't a listed building certainly - privately owned.
Anyone know the mechanics of getting a building 'listed'?

The developers plan is to knock it down, as being cheaper than refurbishing for a different function.

I think a care home these days would require more lifts and stairs and health & safety 'features.

That's the answer - what's the question?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>