Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Holy Cross Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans to increase housing in CSP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Originally posted by slowhand slowhand wrote:

I am afraid all this is called progress, how long can we hope to keep our heads buried in the sand and hope it does'nt happen here. To me, this NIMBY attitude sounds very selfish.

The problem is that the Governments solution to an increased population (fueled by EU immigration) in the south east, is to build more houses.

The solution should be looking at empty housing and brown field sites but also the dispersion of the population from the south east to less populated areas in the UK.  The population of Greater London is around the same as the whole of Scotland, yet look at the areas of land.

How true... halve the work opportunities in London and the surrounding areas and move the jobs elsewhere.... No not NIMBY'ism, equal opportunity!!

ArtB
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Sponsored Links

Pants 2 Tight View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 8:14pm
Let's all just stop having children and over-populating the world, then we won't need so many houses.

...and before you all say "but who'll pay for the health care of the ageing population?", well it won't matter because we'll send them all to the 'Sleepshop' at age 30.

(I get all my population control ideas from Science Fiction. Logan's Run is my current favourite.)

tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 3:35am
You have to stop copulating to stop populating......LOL

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
J.R. View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 8:55am
how about stopping the influx of everyone and anyone into the country - small island - over populated.
JR was ere
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:01am
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

how about stopping the influx of everyone and anyone into the country - small island - over populated.

No, in my Sci-Fi based master plan we can use them for Soylent Green.

(We're not doing Soylent Yellow though, I don't like Chinese food).
Flyboy View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 11:35am
Originally posted by slowhand slowhand wrote:

I am afraid all this is called progress, how long can we hope to keep our heads buried in the sand and hope it does'nt happen here.
I dont remember all the REAL old time residents of Chalfont St Peter groaning at the developments in the 1950's, things were just accepted then.
To me, this NIMBY attitude sounds very selfish.

I totally agree slowhand. People have to live somewhere and the youth of the village are being squeezed out by high property prices and lack of space. I have seen neighbours' children having to move to Slough, Watford or Uxbridge because there are no affordable homes in Chalfont Saint Peter. Schools are desperate for intake and the last two years reception classes have had less than half capacity, in some schools.

I too don't understand people's attiitudes of NIMBYism, if it were their childen who were being forced out, I wonder how they would be reacting then?

Toffeeman View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toffeeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 3:02pm
I wish people had moaned / or been listened to about the development in the 60's then we wouldn't have the 'precinct'. Look at the old pictures - I'd rather live in a village looking like that. As mentioned by others the infrastructure is already at breaking point in Chalfont especially schools and roads. There are plenty of brown field sites in the country so why not use them first. Otherwise we will be the London Borough of Chalfont soon. Nothing to do with Nimbyism.
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 3:19pm
There is quite a bit of affordable housing in the village, including I believe an area on Chiltern Heights for ex-sevice personnel.

The precinct is ugly, but at least it serves a purpose. It could have been so much nicer though if people cared about the impact on an area before building.

Take that new factory/offices being built in the village, why couldn't that have been affordable housing?  Then Holy Cross could have remained a school.

Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pants 2 Tight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Flyboy Flyboy wrote:

People have to live somewhere and the youth of the village are being squeezed out by high property prices and lack of space. I have seen neighbours' children having to move to Slough, Watford or Uxbridge because there are no affordable homes in Chalfont Saint Peter.
...and what 'right' do they have to live here? It's a privilege to live in a nice house in a nice area. It's something you earn. Just because the youth can't afford to buy a house here doesn't mean that we should trash the area and fill it with loads of crappy under-size dwellings.
Originally posted by Flyboy Flyboy wrote:

I too don't understand people's attiitudes of NIMBYism, if it were their childen who were being forced out, I wonder how they would be reacting then?
Well, the youth should get a decent job and move here when they can afford to... and I would tell my kids that too.

God, I don't know how I would cope if my children had to live in ..(gulp)..Slough, Watford or Uxbridge.
Flyboy View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2009 at 7:16pm

Development had nothing to do with the closure of Holy Cross. That was down to bad fiscal management. Where is this affordable housing? I am sure there many young people in the village who would like to know. If there is any, there is nowhere near enough, because young people are leaving the village in their droves, because they can't afford to live here. Housing for ex-servicemen in Chalfont Heights is not going to solve the shortage of low cost housing in the area. Isn't Holy Cross and Newlands Park brownfield anyway?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>