Forum Home Forum Home > Organisations > Chamber Of Commerce
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pedestrianise the Precinct Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pedestrianise the Precinct Area
    Posted: 02 October 2007 at 1:40pm
Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising? the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark. This area could easily be turned into an area for a weekly market and in good weather tables and chairs could be set out to form a continental feel ie coffee's etc.
Sponsored Links

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 2:02pm
It's not owned by the council so I suspect they have never thought of it. And I think all the shops in the precinct would be against it if the landlord ever thought that.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Lollipop View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Yorkie Yorkie wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising? the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark. This area could easily be turned into an area for a weekly market and in good weather tables and chairs could be set out to form a continental feel ie coffee's etc.

Never mind who owns it, what about people who can only walk a very short distance - how are they supposed to get to those shops if they can't be dropped or park right there?

It's bad enough that all the on-street parking's taken by (mainly) able-bodied folk who just don't want to pay for parking - which they can hardly be blamed for, if the option's there.

But have you (able-bodied readers) any idea what it's like to HAVE to drive away because you can't park close enough?  It's sort of like not having enough change for the car park only MUCH MUCH worse, because you can't go and get a new pair of legs out of the kids' piggy bank, not even just the once. 

I'm very tempted to suggest to the Council that they make Market Place blue badge parking only, with only the few proposed delivery spaces and absolutely no waiting. 

Oh, hang on, that's another thing, people who "just" stop for 5 minutes in blue badge spaces (e.g. in GX by the cash machines), great, cheers, so the less able and elderly have to go home because there's no parking when they drive past, thanks a lot, wouldn't they just love to have the luxury of being able to park elsewhere and WALK.

I'm nearly over my rant, honest.

But finally, some local councils are becoming more aware of the fact that the less able and elderly actually do an awful lot to keep the local economy going - more so than the younger and fitter folk who can "commute" distances to retail parks, etc. - so they should be accommodated more.  Not so far from here, they've introduced special parking bays for the over 60s.  And why not, I say.

(Not having a go at you, Yorkie, btw.)
... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 9:20am

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

I think it would actually lead to a decrease in those shops revenue and an increase in skateboarding/rollerblading etc and would become a focal point for late night anti-social behaviour. Also, it's littered enough as it is - can you imagine it if it was pedestrianised? Would you want to sit out in that?
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:46am

Unfortunately you are probably right about the anti-social behaviour and litter.  I disagree about the revenue though, anything that draws large groups of people to an area must boost sales, hence fun night.

In the meanwhile we will just have to go elsewhere to have a civilised cup of coffee in a pleasant location.

PCSO Brennan View Drop Down
TVP
TVP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PCSO Brennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 11:37am

Either option is good.

Many times i see people trying to get in and out of those 1/2 car width spaces, people parking in 2 spaces and people waiting for 30mins more just to park. surely church lane car park isnt that far away?
Chalfont Common & Central | Goldhill & Austenwood
Chiltern South NHPT
Non Emergency Number: 08458 505 505

Yorkie View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 12:30pm
Surely a compromise could be met with allowance for some disabled parking, I really can't understand why anti social behaviour would be any worse as the shops are closed in the evening.
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 6:02pm
I think the idea of having no cars in the Square is a no-go for all the reasons mentioned, however a market could be brought in (weekly, monthly, farmers etc) and only close it then as most other 'modern' villages do.
All the traders/pubs and shops would then benefit from the extra trade and footfall.
As for a Blue Bagde zone, maybe a clearer identification of the two bays in the square would help. At the moment one limp sign smaller than an A4 sheet helps no one.
Better idea, move the two Blue Badge spots to the HSBC corner and then the CCTV which sees no crime or anti social activity can check if they are showing Blue badges and record/pass on their details if not.

www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:59pm
I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>