FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pedestrianise the Precinct Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lollipop View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 6:04pm
Hmm, having a spot of trouble replying to you there, ML.

What I've tried to say in answer to the two points above (you'll just have to guess which bit's which Wink):

What on earth makes you think that disabled bay users are also wheelchair users?  Many will be blue badge holders who find it difficult or impossible to walk more than 50m, with or without pain.

And what on mars makes you think that wheelchair users are either (a) capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park or (b) only capable of propelling themselves from the other side of the car park?

There's no right answer.  Ergo we must assume that any disabled bay user is only able to travel a minimal distance from vehicle to destination and, back to my point, the post office is the most likely.

There are three sets of disabled bays in the Church Lane car park.

That single one in the middle is weird but I suppose fine for some categories of disabled people (see lecture below).  It will also probably be useful for minibuses transporting groups of wheelchair users with helpers.

The spaces by the church will be great for church users (again, with assistance) and the three at the St Peter's Court end of the car park will surely suit many categories of disabled persons (see lecture) but they're quite useless for blue badge holders who fall into the category of having " physical disability that means you are unable to walk very far without experiencing severe discomfort".

What hope have this group of people got of using the shops in CSP unless we make provision for them up Market Place?

Today's lecture is that DISABLED doesn't automatically mean WHEELCHAIR.

If I recall, blue badge holders can fall into a number of categories - unable to walk, extreme difficulty/pain in walking, no use of upper limbs, severely disabled small child (requiring medical equipment to be transported, or needing to be whisked away to get medical care).

... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

I disagree, it's on a busy corner and the spaces provided do not allow for wheelchair access.  Either the 2 spaces outside the lauderette or the 2 paces outside Timpsons would be better.

Originally posted by Lollipop Lollipop wrote:

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.

There are two sets at least, possibly three in the Church Lane car park.  One makes no sense at all being near the flats but without access to them.  There are certainly some down by the Greyhound and I think near the Church Hall.

Lollipop View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lollipop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.

I think the disabled bays should be where disabled people most need them. 

Outside the post office seems like a good spot.

Bear in mind that [I think I'm right in saying that] the St Peter's Court car park is privately owned and run, so they probably only do the bare minimum that's needed.

The disabled spaces in the Church Lane car park are way too far from anywhere for a blue badge holder.  We need disabled spaces at intervals up Market Place - and some means of stopping t@ssers in big cars from thinking it's OK to stop there for a minute.

... for the peace of my years in the long green grass ...
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:59pm
I think the disabled bays should be opposite the Launderette in the spaces big enough for two cars but not the three spaces it's supposed to be accomodating.
Chillies View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chillies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 6:02pm
I think the idea of having no cars in the Square is a no-go for all the reasons mentioned, however a market could be brought in (weekly, monthly, farmers etc) and only close it then as most other 'modern' villages do.
All the traders/pubs and shops would then benefit from the extra trade and footfall.
As for a Blue Bagde zone, maybe a clearer identification of the two bays in the square would help. At the moment one limp sign smaller than an A4 sheet helps no one.
Better idea, move the two Blue Badge spots to the HSBC corner and then the CCTV which sees no crime or anti social activity can check if they are showing Blue badges and record/pass on their details if not.

www.chalfontchillies.co.uk Twitter: @chalfontchillie Facebook: chalfontchillies

Often to be seen walking his Staffie Cross and two Chihuahuas so please say hello
Yorkie View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 12:30pm
Surely a compromise could be met with allowance for some disabled parking, I really can't understand why anti social behaviour would be any worse as the shops are closed in the evening.
PCSO Brennan View Drop Down
TVP
TVP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PCSO Brennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 11:37am

Either option is good.

Many times i see people trying to get in and out of those 1/2 car width spaces, people parking in 2 spaces and people waiting for 30mins more just to park. surely church lane car park isnt that far away?
Chalfont Common & Central | Goldhill & Austenwood
Chiltern South NHPT
Non Emergency Number: 08458 505 505

Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:46am

Unfortunately you are probably right about the anti-social behaviour and litter.  I disagree about the revenue though, anything that draws large groups of people to an area must boost sales, hence fun night.

In the meanwhile we will just have to go elsewhere to have a civilised cup of coffee in a pleasant location.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Malc London Malc London wrote:

Originally posted by Yorkie Yorkie wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

I think it would actually lead to a decrease in those shops revenue and an increase in skateboarding/rollerblading etc and would become a focal point for late night anti-social behaviour. Also, it's littered enough as it is - can you imagine it if it was pedestrianised? Would you want to sit out in that?
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malc London Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Yorkie Yorkie wrote:

Has the council ever considered in part, if not fully pedestrianising the areas around the precinct which currently is a carpark?

It is a good idea and would possibly increase the revenue for the adjoining shops. It would certainly make that area of the village more attractive. 

It will not happen though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>