Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Whitmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 10:28am
Hi
I'm replying to your post although it is a while back.  I've rejoined the list.  I lived in CSP for 14 years from 1973.  I'd be interested in your book and getting a copy, as I have very very fond memories of the village and my friends of that time.  I don't know if I'd have anything to contribute although I can remember the ford crossing the street!

Best wishes and keep up the good work, Lynn
Former Resident
Sponsored Links

CASE View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CASE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:54pm
so,so many.
riding our hand built go carts down foxdell and my mate falling off and badley hurting himself in mid seventys
getting my sweets from mr bail on and from school.
messing around on the gravel pit and swinging into the misbourne when it had water.
bishops in the precent.
helicopter and balloon rides at the nse open day, also in the seventys.
the soft shop where i got a BBCb pc.
the fields near hornhill going up in flames in 1976.

Past villager View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Past villager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 11:42am
 My mum worked in the laundromat when it was in the middle of the village, cleaning cloths for the likes of Ivor Emannual.
  I can remember Frankie Vaughan coming to tithe barn and taking my nan to see him. He was her favourite. I remember her saying "when he comes in girls you got to grab him and say we love you Frankie!" my friends and sister thought she was mad but a great laugh.  
  Ted Heath came to visit the Hospital in the early seventies, my nan was in there and we weren't allowed to visit her till he'd gone. Margret Rutherford was in the bed opposite her.
  There were also many times we watched the parade through the village in the summer for the fate. The school fates where I was a welsh girl  (wierd I live here now), a round the world cyclist on my little sisters trike ten sizes too small for me and numerous other strange characters I was asked to potray 'for the school'. I could go on but I'd only bore you.
Still missing CSP after 36yrs.
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 3:41pm
Wouldn't bore me! Please carry on!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Lynn Whitmore View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Whitmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:54pm
Hi all
Intrigued about sledging in Foxdell Way as I used to do that too - ex Mark Drive.  I can remember playing football with friends in the Chalfont Epilepsy Centre's (then known as 'the colony') playing field and getting chased by a bloke who looked after it.  I had a donkey then, and we would walk it through the village - people would give it an apple and my donkey would drool all over the pavement!  We also ran it in a donkey derby which took place in the community centre.  I occasionally but rarely saw Chalfont Utd play, but met John Laurie on a number of occasions doing charity work.  Some amazing times, but a great childhood.

When I first moved to Chalfont in 1963 there was a ford crossing the road opposite the church into a carpark which then became the Precinct.  Budgen's was where the clothes shop is in the Precinct now.  I used to work in the baker's-cum-sandwich shop as a Saturday job, preceded by Woolworths in GX.  On one occasion on Christmas Eve we clearly had not a crumb on the shelves, and one lady customer came in and said "can I have a tin loaf please" (a long narrow loaf)!!  Dream on!

I remember listening to 'singles' in Rumbelow's as well, and also the grocer's with Mr Bail - his son was in my class I believe, or nearly.  There used to be a wool shop in the shop on the other side of the uphill road to Bail's grocery.  There also used to be a white horse in the field opposite both of the above shops, which then got built on.  He always used to have his head over the gate and so we children used to stroke his nose - then of course he disappeared with the housing - very sad.

I was deeply saddened a while back when I saw that Gravel Hill School was no longer used as a school and that there were weeds growing where we all used to play so noisily!  Then it also got built on - so many children's voices buried under housing..... so sad.  On the day that one of my teachers yanked me to the front of the class by the forelock, and gave me a real telling off and cracked a ruler over my knuckles (this would have been in about 1965) - I dared to make a complaint to the Head Teacher!

Ho hum!

Lynn

Former Resident
CASE View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CASE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 12:05pm
i'm ex gravel hill..1975....1982
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Whitmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:11pm
Hi
I left Gravel Hill before you began there.  I wonder why it closed?  Unless due to an ageing residential population maybe, who had been there for years.  We had Mr Berry as Head Teacher, followed by Miss Breedon who seemed to have quite left-wing views - very hippie in her physical appearance!  Such a great shame it is no longer a school (with no disrespect meant to current residents!).  We used to do cycling proficiency in the playground which I failed - the only one to do so in that group at least - which served as an early warning for my parents of the 11+ and drastic remedial action taken!  We had teachers such as Mr Best, Mr Bennell, Miss Taylor (who then went on to Beaconsfield High School) - I wonder how they are doing now?

Great memories, Lynn Thumbs%20Up

Former Resident
CASE View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CASE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 3:39pm
mrs breedon, now there's someone who i remember well, i thought she was right wing unless you were one of the chosen one's
john walters, the best teacher ever, forget the boring stuff,we would end up doing other stuff like trying to make a pool table out of a old door or talking about tv.
if i hear 'morning has broken' ever again...you know where i'm coming from....

Edited by CASE - 24 July 2008 at 3:47pm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Whitmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 9:06am
things obviously didn't change much then lol!  I can remember her flowery flowing outfits!  quite different from the stricter approach of her predecessor!
Former Resident
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 10:27pm
When I was a kid I won a fancy dress prize in the Feast Day parade that started along the bottom of Gravel Hill, (where Tesco's is now), and finished up on Gold Hill Common. I was dressed as a clown and was reluctant to go up for my prize which was presented by John Laurie!
I'll dig the picture out and post it.

Edited by Rich Kid - 08 March 2009 at 10:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>