Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:40pm

NUCLEUS the art shop was opened by Sid James way back when.

Don't forget Ozzy Osborne has a small house in Welders Lane.

Rick Wakeman partly started his career playing at Winkers.

Not quite CSP, but I occasionally helped on the milk round that delivered to Roy Castle in GX. Very nice guy.

Lewis Collins had quite a star studed house warming, when he moved into Mopes Farm. I remember getting ready for work one evening upstairs at Winkers, and Lionel Blair was on TV hosting some programme like oppertunity knocks or something. The programme ended, and I then whent downstairs to help Mick Maynard ( Bobs Brother) in opening up. As I crossed the bar area the door bell rang, and thinking it was one of the staff arriving, I called out that I would get the door. What a shock I had when I opened it to find Lionel Blair standing there. I was completley dumbstruck, thinking that there was no way that he could have got from TV centre quicker than I walked downstairs and across the club. Yes I eventually realised that the show was recorded. Lionel had seen the lights of Winkers on and thought it was Mopes Farm.

Noel Edmunds lived in GX.

Sponsored Links

Steve View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 11:02pm

I can remeber...

Sledging down Gold Hill when we used to have snow.

Going to the CO-OP on the corner of the Vale, before Tesco open up where Chalfont home stores is.

Going down to Rumbelows to listing to the latest single in there listing booths

Bomb shelters that used to be in the play ground of the middle school

Playing on the green that used to be between Lovel rd and grove hill

Dick the green grosser that used to sell his potato's from the back of a big van with just a 12v bulb.

The shelter that used to be in the playground and the American swing that we used to try to get the plank to hit the top of the frame as we gave it our all.

Chalfont St peter football club stand that used to be at least half full on a Saturday afternoons.

The Queen coming to visit

Fete's that used to be on the football ground, and Chalfont Park and Gold hill, floats that started by the Esso station on the A413 and drove up to Gold Hill

Edited by Steve
Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.
big baggles View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big baggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2006 at 1:50pm
ahh rumbelows ! ahh snow on the common......chalfont volvo ! but the queen visiting ?- i think it was before my time !
need a stella and i need one now !
Tedious Ted View Drop Down
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedious Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 4:03pm
Anyone remember Guests in  Market Place? And Andersons the first self-service supermarket in the village.
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:13pm

I remember when the NSE used to have a fundraising fair every year. I always helped my mum on the ping-pong jars stall. And the Gurkhas used to march up Monument Lane every year to open it.

Maybe someone ought to suggest the concept of old fashioned fundraising to Graham Faulkner of the NSE...

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
schul View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 11:24pm
great mems thankyou so muchTongue
flower
Reid View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:44pm

Where I lived in pond Lane, 58 to 78, behind me was a family called the Pixlies, they lived in a huge Edwardian house called Chipstead, now the name of the housing estate built late 60's early 70's. Amongst all sorts of strange and wonderful things that went on there, they had Millie to stay when she was big!!! You don't know who millie is ? She sang "My boy lollipop"!!!.

RED
Reid View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:52pm
The Jolly Farmer had a sandwich list in the 1960's with over 300 different sarnis, people came from all over the world to eat there. The landlady drove a Cadillac Eldorado in gold, she would allways reverse it out of the Jolly farmer car park and imbed the huge exhaust pipes into the earth bank on the other side of the road ( gold hill common) she would then roar off, as kids we would wait for the huge explosion as the clods of earth would fire from her car.

They also had a huge collection of foreign bank notes in the bar, sadly this ended in tears as they were robbed and I think there dog was killed.
RED
Reid View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 7:57pm
It's more GX, I trod on Margaret Rutherford watch in Sturley's cake shop in GX, handed it in, and on every birthday until she died she would send me postal order, as a thank you.
RED
Reid View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2007 at 8:01pm
Rob Cooksey became road manager for Deep Purple, he lived across the road from me, he lives in California now , I think, he ownes a company that makes some kind of exclusive luggage
RED
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>