Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales Of Chalfont
    Posted: 03 April 2006 at 10:49am

I have been thinking about writing a book about people's stories of Chalfont. Not in the same vein as Audrey Wheelband's history of Chalfont, but much more people's individual tales of what they got up to when they were younger, funny things that have happened, the changes to the village in their time, memories of landlords and policemen (we used to have six and a sergeant!), anecdotal tales of school, chalfont before the bypasds, shops they worked in and so on. Any photos of you would be welcome as well.

As you can see, most of the writing is being done by you out there, but if you know of anyone who has interesting stories of old Chalfont, then I am more than happy to arrange a meeting with them and record and transcribe their tale.

This is a not-for-profit book, as any money made will be donated to a local cause, such as the Youth Centre.

So, either PM me with your story, or someone who I could talk to about their stories, or add your tale on here. If there's enough interest, I'll get the book published!

I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Sponsored Links

mushroom View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 3:22pm

The Summer of 1970

I was living with my grandparents in North London, my parents and three siblings were in Singapore (military) and I had gotten into trouble with the law and ran away from home to join the fair.

One of the fairs summer sites was Chalfont St Peter Common (in fact still is) and I was a helper on the oval go cart circuit when I noticed a young Mum with child drop her purse on the common near where the middle of the soccer pitch would be now, I retrieved it and gave it back to her and later received a clipped ear from someone on the fair for not sharing it out, I remember doing my laundry in the village and the Laundromat was halfway down the hill then and not at the bottom, I shared a caravan with a young well endowed coloured chap who used to shake the caravan every night…. I hasten to add I had no part in his escapades. I remember the lorry being pulled over just outside the village by the police….. I was sat in the passenger seat with a five-gallon drum of red diesel between my legs, which was feeding the engine……….I left just after that.

Mushy

Mushroom is a Fungi
moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:39pm
Dan - would you also like tales of other people's exploits ie now dead?
Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 5:43pm
Certainly, otherwise they will be lost forever!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
Steve View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 6:43pm

I have lived here since 1958, so I have to put my thinking cap on

Sparkle View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2006 at 6:46pm
Sounds like a great idea
RobertswoodPTA View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertswoodPTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 5:14pm
Well done Dan - sounds really good!
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 7:27pm

Thanks for all the people saying they like the idea...a few more stories or suggestions of who to talk to would be useful as well!

Would really like to hear from forum members who now live overseas...

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:46pm

I know you may groan, but speaking to some of the WIs would be a good idea.

My mum used to be a member of Chalfont Common WI and I have a picture of her dressed up as a highwayman, on a horse called Roma borrowed from Brawlings, doing something charitable.

I also have pictures of her doing drama things at the Community Centre and dressed as a nun, with my dad dressed as a monk, at the Chiltern Open Air Museum (of which my dad was director, many years ago).

I also have details of the visits by HRH Queen and HRH Diana to the NSE at various times (including invitations and photos, if that's of any help).

And finally for today, Gravel Hill school used to have a pet rabbit. This was given to them by my family after it kept escaping and digging up the neighbours' gardens (it didn't touch ours). We had adopted the rabbit from one of my Maltmans Green teachers, Miss Jenny Waters, who was returning to her native Australia. In true Aussie spirit, she had given the rabbit an Aboriginal name, which I believe stayed with it, even at Gravel Hill. It was called Goolie.....

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2006 at 9:47pm
If you want any WI contact names and numbers let me know...I'm not a member but have them through my mum....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>