Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by jake jake wrote:

i served cilla black when i was working in carpenters in gx very nice person (not)

Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...
Sponsored Links

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:52pm

I sold Cilla Balck when I worked in Accent in GX - she definitely thought she was better than others....

I sold Jan Leeming a bra (flesh coloured coz of the TV lights and yes I remember her size but she was lovely so my lips are sealed) and a pair of yellow trousers.

And I sold Patrick Mower (Emmerdale etc) a cabbage in Jamisons, but 3 years before I had had a very interesting time selling him a suspender belt and stockings.....he was a real charmer

And I also served President Kenyatta's daughter...because she was black and the shop owner wouldn't serve her! She bought loads and I got a LOT of commission thanks to her

And I've served Angelina Jolie, Vernon Kay, Leo Sayer and Pauline Quirk in Sainsbury's last year....

So all those people can boast about how they've been served by me!

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by moggies moggies wrote:

I sold Cilla Balck when I worked in Accent in GX - she definitely thought she was better than others....

Sorry! I sold her a pair of gloves!!!!!

ReTrO View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReTrO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Fans Fans wrote:

Margaret Rutherford used to live in Joiners Lane opposite the end of Joiners Way, when I lived there her husband used to walk her along Joiners Way in her wheelchair.

I used to live in 22 Joiners Way, the house up the slope overlooking the road enterance.  Moved out of there to current house in 1988.

Allez Wasps

Rick

Olim vespa, semper vespa

Fans View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 9:21am
I lived at no 7 from when it was built 1968 to 1976 with my parents, we then moved to Bull Lane, not so good for playing marbles in the road!
baldsam View Drop Down
Chalfontonian
Chalfontonian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 12:28pm

I uses to run as fast as my little legs would take me up joiners lane to get to winkers before 9.00 so i didn't have to pay to get in.

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 3:05pm

Dan, talk to Paul Neville and P.J.Deacy who both drink in the White Hart to this day,

Paul used to share a flat with a guy named Rob Cooksey who used to drive a lorry for Sankeys (now where the betting shop is) and he went on to be a 'roady' for a band called Bonzo Dog Doodah Band back in the 60s-70s, he then roadied for Olivia Newton John, and eventually became manager of a band called Deep Purple who also used to share accommodation with Paul and Rob.
Rob now lives and is retired in California and may well be reading this post, sorry Rob if I have 'dropped' you in it
P.J Deacy also roadied for many stars.

I remember being in the White Hart back in the 70's when there was a couple of members of Deep Purple, a guy called Rick Wakeman from the band Yes, singer ashley Holt (can't remember the band), Roy Castle and one of his band members, and music composer Eric Rogers who wrote most of the music for the 'carry on' films, also there was a another character by the name of Bob Todd who used to appear in the Benny Hill show, he was in the pub also at this time.

The musicians proceeded to play music with anything they could get their hands on, and Roy Castle and his colleague both played trumpets.
The impromptu band was joined by a local character from Chalfont st Giles called 'Monty' Bignall who played the spoons to the enjoyment of all including the big name stars, who incidentally were not at their peak at his time.

Fantastic memories from a brilliant era, to many to rabble on about here, but hopefully may have rattled a few memories from other people.

Please also remember, many of these characters (due to their ages) do not use computers and may not be aware that this forum exists.

Hope it works out for you Dan, I will look forward to reading the finished book.

regards
Garry

Edited by Garry
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2006 at 3:20pm
Now come on Garry. I know you have many more stories about CSP. Especially have listened (and laughed at) a few on the impromptu 'Blitz' style evening held at the WH during one of the 'blackouts'!
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Dave-R View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave-R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by baldsam baldsam wrote:

I uses to run as fast as my little legs would take me up joiners lane to get to winkers before 9.00 so i didn't have to pay to get in.

The days before the Winkers bus! I remember in the summer we used to be in Winkers when it was still broad daylight outside! What saddos!

moggies View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:14pm

I started horse-riding at Winkers when I was about 5.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>