Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 1:32am
Micheal was the son of Margaret the hairdresser and grandson of Mr and Mrs Windsor lived on gravel hill I'm sure it must be 5he same one.
Sponsored Links

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2014 at 6:27am
John's younger brother was called Geoff. Both played Sunday football for Chalfont United. They had a diamond business together for a while in Hatton Garden.
local born and bred
dodgydave View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by girl@austenwood girl@austenwood wrote:

I as in the same class as Brian Mead. I also remember seeing he had posted on the Friends Reunited site Old Jobs around year 1957-60 inclusive.
there was three brothers mead the eldest was george then john who we called JT mead and billy the mother died young billy used to care for her i used to work with him landscape gardening anybody know what happend to billy?
Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 12:11pm
Billy lives down Surrey way I think, I will check, the only reason I know is because his name cropped up in conversation the other day and this person said they still speak to him on the phone every month, he is divorced but his son lives with him and he is doing alright. I will check for further details when I see my friend again, Jt or Jay as most people called him  and I remember George with his pork pie hat and tash, looked a right old spiv, happy memories.
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 12:37pm
I have an old photo of billy mead dressed as a pirate standing at gravel hill waiting for the feast day parade to start a boiling hot day. We were given our prizes by someone called arthur cager wholed the community singing anyone else remember those parades?
hissing sid View Drop Down
Chalfont Oldie
Chalfont Oldie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hissing sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

I have an old photo of billy mead dressed as a pirate standing at gravel hill waiting for the feast day parade to start a boiling hot day. We were given our prizes by someone called arthur cager wholed the community singing anyone else remember those parades?

Would that have been " Sir Arthur Cager" who used to sing at the big football matches at Wembly Stadium?

Hissing Sid

It's a free country, adopt whatever PC stance you want. Just don't tell me which stance I should take just because it clashes with your opinion.

born and bred View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote born and bred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 11:14am
Am I correct in saying that the fair which visits Gold a Hill common a couple of times a year is the longest running entertainment provider?
Does anyone know how long it has been visiting? It has been coming for over 80 years to my knowledge.
Happy days spent many years ago.

The Feast Day event has a long history but there have been long gaps when it did not take place.

Chalfont Fair had a long run but alas no more.

The Christmas village open night looks like it may have a long future, let's hope so.

These events hold many happy memories for all of us.

We are proud that a village can provide such communal events.
local born and bred
ArtB View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 8:10pm

Remember the milk bar well. Had a juke box and pyrex cups and saucers.
?

Those were the days, the shop became a driving school a few years later I think.

Was there a milk bar at the bottom of the hill opposite where the cinema and toilets used to be ?

I think that was called the Cross Keys cafe, if memory serves it was run by a family called 'Moses' and I think there were  3 or 4 youngsters but I can't remember their names, youngest would probably be early 60's now. Great bacon sandwiches in the morning I seem to recall.

Art
*** If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem!
Butterfly View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 10:25pm
I remember the Moses kids from the Cross Keys Cafe. I think there was a boy called Daniel. They were at the infant School with me and I also remember they all had to have their heads shaved.  I guess that was how they dealt with nits back in the day lol.

Billy Mead used to live at the end of Lansdown Road and had a younger sister called Janet.  I have a picture of us all in 1953 at a Coronation street party in the Guide hut.  The elder brother used to play the bagpipes and serenade the whole road!!!
dot poleykett View Drop Down
Local
Local

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dot poleykett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 10:36pm
Where did I get the name Mitchies from? I think part of the cafe was for workmen or transport drivers can't remember the year but may have been late 50's early sixties. Perhaps it was after the Moses because I can't rember them. Thanks for keeping the little grey matter working.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>