FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tales Of Chalfont

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sauk View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tales Of Chalfont
    Posted: 27 November 2021 at 1:37pm
I along with four of my friends let off some stink bombs off in Tythe Barn during a meeting. When asked who did it I stupidly owned up and got myself expelled from the youth centre. I don’t think any of the others owned up or got expelled. But that I’m not sure about.
sa
Sponsored Links

CRB View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 9:41am
Ive started a thread asking about Austenway but thought it may be worth dropping a note here too: 

After reading a few books of the local area, I'm trying to find some more photographic memories -
 notably the top part of Austenway. Does anyone know families that used to live on Austenway from say 50s or 60s. I'm going to try do more research via the Council when things get back to normal, but would love to hear from anyone here.

Thanks
Womble View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Womble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2020 at 1:30pm
Regarding the entry about the cycle shop. I doubt if George Cole worked there. The shop was owned by Jack Hearne who opened another shop in Slough, On the way in before the bridge. The Manager of the Chalfont shop was Peggy Draycott who lived in Chalvey. I worked as the cycle mechanic after school and weekends up to 1971 from late 60's.  Peg eventually sold up and moved to Blandford Forum, I think she ended up marrying Jack. 

Edited by Womble - 10 March 2020 at 1:34pm
watsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 9:20am
I didn't think the Greyhound had ever changed its name?  Only the Phoenix / Poachers / Bakers Arms had changed I thought - the postcards posted on another thread ere show the Greyhound since 1900?
Allnutt View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allnutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 8:45pm
The meads were related to me, good to catch up on the old days. The pub the greyhound had another name
Before being changed. There was a wooden health centre at top of hill in nicol hill can only remember going in
For olive oil and orange juice after the war. I lived in orchard grove, now in cornwall
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by born and bred born and bred wrote:

John's younger brother was called Geoff. Both played Sunday football for Chalfont United. They had a diamond business together for a while in Hatton Garden.

John Heath is still in the diamond business ....

http://www.heathdiamonds.com/About.html
Dvr22999874 View Drop Down
Sandbox
Sandbox

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dvr22999874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:49am
I was (and hope I still am) a mate of Pauls and remember what you write about well. The flat they had was above the 'Bee Research Laboratory' opposite the wagon and horses and we weren't allowed in there by the miserable old Prat who ran it. He reckoned we were young hooligans and our noisy parties drove his customers away. He never bloody had any *LOL*.
I remember giving Paul a couch for the flat and we had to carry it from a place at the back of the Express Dairy, all the way to the flat. We stuck a few bottles of beer on it and off we toddled with this thing between us. We got a lot of strange looks from motorists passing by and even more when we stopped at the bus stop halfway up the hill to rest and refresh ourselves. By the time we got to the flat we were both wearing wobbly boots, so we dropped the couch inside and headed back to the Greyhound to discover the whole damn village knew about our exploit by then.
The Drunken Sailor
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by ArtB ArtB wrote:

Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

Where did I get the name Mitchies from? I think part of the cafe was for workmen or transport drivers can't remember the year but may have been late 50's early sixties. Perhaps it was after the Moses because I can't rember them. Thanks for keeping the little grey matter working.

Certainly late 50's, I think I'm remembering them around 1956. Not sure when they sold up but it continued as a cafe for a while before it was demolished and the site 'modernised'.

Art

Wasn't there a long narrow cafe, more akin to a 'transport cafe' on one side and a larger separate more traditional cafe adjoining? Names of those who used to frequent the smaller cafe included Clive Law, Sid Jarman, John Keane, etc (as far as I recall, although my memory may be playing tricks on me).
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by dot poleykett dot poleykett wrote:

I have an old photo of billy mead dressed as a pirate standing at gravel hill waiting for the feast day parade to start a boiling hot day. We were given our prizes by someone called arthur cager wholed the community singing anyone else remember those parades?

Remember them, I was in one as a little lad dressed up as a clown! (No funny comments please!) I posted pictures a little while ago, one at the start at Gravel Hill and the other collecting a prize on Gold Hill Common from John Laurie (Fraser, Dad's Army).
Didn't Arthur Cager conduct the singing before the FA Cup Final back in the day?
Rich Kid View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by born and bred born and bred wrote:

John's younger brother was called Geoff. Both played Sunday football for Chalfont United. They had a diamond business together for a while in Hatton Garden.

You're right, that was my last recollection of them. For some reason it sticks in my mind that John lived around the Fulmer area, although I could be wrong on that. I wonder what happened to them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>