Topic Closed"Bloody Hell" Ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Bloody Hell" Ads
    Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:28pm
(
Censored: The ads will only be shown in full in cinemas.

Censored: The ads will only be shown in full in cinemas. (ABC TV)

UK restricts 'bloody hell' tourism ads

Australia's new multi-million dollar tourism advertising campaign has fallen foul of censors in the United Kingdom.

The British television advertising regulator has banned the "Where the bloody hell are you" tag line from being broadcast on TV.

The full version of the ad will be allowed to be shown in British cinemas, and in print and online campaigns.

Federal Tourism Minister Fran Bailey says the regulators are being precious.

"This is the country that gave us you know, Benny Hill, the Two Ronnies and Ali G, and suddenly our cheeky advertising campaign seems to have got under their skin," she said.

Ms Bailey says the decision is out of touch with public opinion and she will raise her concerns with her British counterpart.

"Most Brits of course appreciate the cheekiness and the Australian sense of humour and don't have a problem at all," she said.

"I just think that maybe the very drab and dreary weather got to the regulator and they've just lost their sense of humour."

The head of Tourism Australia, Scott Morrison, says the decision will help fuel interest interest in the campaign.

"It's a bit like when Olivia Newton-John was banned all those years ago in the US - it did wonders for her sales," he said.

"When you get reactions like this it means that it's cutting through, people are responding and it gives us a great opportunity to really drive the PR.

"We always knew there was a risk of this but it was really going to be a win-win either way."

I think this is a bit narrow minded....???

Condoms should be used on every conceivable occasion.
Sponsored Links

Malc London View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:45pm

Originally posted by tobic tobic wrote:

"Where the bloody hell are you"

That is blasphamy in the Christian world.

I am going to go and protest outside the Danish embassy in Italy in protest.

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2006 at 1:01pm
Amazingly enough, you can get away with quite a lot in adverts, but swearing is a big no-no, even if the program you are watchings four-letter word count is in triple figures!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2006 at 11:36am

I watch so many shows from the UK, and love them, I hasten to add, that use far greater swear words than "bloody hell".   These few words are part and parcel of the Aussie language and should be treated as such.

Mind you, I don't really care if they are taken off English television permanently, there are too many Poms over here already.... 

DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2006 at 12:00pm
Are they working in the bars? Because that's where all the Aussies over here seem to be! Do you think it's some sort of barman exchange programme that we don't know about?!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 11:26am

The federal Tourism Minister, Fran Bailey, is on her way to London to try and get the word "bloody" put back into Australian tourism ads.

Ms Bailey says the decision to go to the UK was made yesterday afternoon, after it was realised there was great support from the British for the ad.

"It hasn't been planned for a long time at all," she said.

Ms Bailey will officially launch the tourism campaign in the UK.

She also hopes to meet with the British Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre, which has banned the section of the ad featuring the word 'bloody' from being screened on television.

"It's very hard to understand I think why the regulator would reach such a decision," Ms Bailey said.

Ms Bailey says it is worth spending thousands of taxpayer dollars on the trip because the tourism industry is worth millions to Australia.

Tourism Australia chairman Tim Fischer says the organisation is having no second thoughts about the campaign.

Mr Fischer says alternative tag lines for the ad have been created, but he doubts anyone would actually take offence to the words "bloody" or "hell".

"On the contrary, we're encouraged by the thousands of extra hits on our website, Australia.com ... and on the momentum of the campaign overall," he said.

It all sounds like reverse psychology to me, and a good way for a minister to get a paid-up holiday.

Emsy View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 12:59pm
I wish they would ban the visit Australia ads on the radio too. I'm getting really fed up with being told to "keep up", because our Henley regatta isn't on dry land.

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.
tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 10:42am
Ah, that must be reverse psychology as well, they are hoping you all get so fed up with them you come to Oz to escape.......

Mark View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 1:56pm

The girl in the picture has got frightingly large teeth - I think I would go BLOODY HELL!!

tobic View Drop Down
Chalfont Snapper
Chalfont Snapper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2006 at 10:49am
At my time of life she looks pretty good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>