Forum Home Forum Home > Chalfont St Peter > Out & About
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Farmers’ markets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Farmers’ markets
    Posted: 22 October 2006 at 10:57am

We've been going to the one in Beaconsfield for a while - very good - somethings are pricey, but if you shop carefully, and bearing in mind the quality, it's pretty good...4th Saturday of each month.

Also, a Farmers' market has just kicked off in GX - 2nd Wednesday of each month, I believe. It looks pretty good (and deserves support to keep it going!)

Sponsored Links

Garry View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 12:07pm
Where abouts in GX is the Farmers market located?
Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 12:40pm
West Common, I think it's called - go through GX towards the A40, and it's just after end of the row of shops on the RHS.
Jenny View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 8:50am
Dan and I went to the Beaconsfield Farmers Market last Saturday. It was excellent. We spent loads of money but I felt that all the products were priced fairly. We ended up with a 4lb gammon! (So promptly spent the entire weekend eating it).

I also bought a few bottles of wine. I thought that £5 a bottle was very reasonable and as I was able to try them before I bought them I know I have wines I like.

Dan was very pleased to be able to get proper Sourdough bread.

I would definitely recommend it.

(I really wanted to buy one of the hand weaved baskets but could not think of where I could put it in my flat!)
No one really cares if you are miserable so you might was well be happy. (Cynthia Nelms)
Barn Owl View Drop Down
Villager
Villager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barn Owl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:05am
Glad you liked it - we also got a gammon, and venison sausages, fabulous tomatoes, mock-parmesan cheese, and loads besides...always a good lunch after having been to the market....
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 11:58am
Sounds like we bought the same things! We got the venison and redcurrant sausages, the Farmers Hand 'Italian Style Cheese' and loads of other stuff!
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
phisch21 View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phisch21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 12:10pm
I used to go there loads - haven't been for months though. I love it - especially the parmesan and the hand made crisps. Breads are good too and the apples from somewhere over Oxfordshire way.

The only thing I am not too clear on is that i thought farmer's markets were only open to local producers - ie those working in a 30 mile radius of the market. Not sure how Isle Of Wight Tomato growers qualify as locals!

pierre View Drop Down
Chalfont Star
Chalfont Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2006 at 6:29pm

Originally posted by DanW DanW wrote:

the Farmers Hand 'Italian Style Cheese' !

Sorry Dan, I couldn't let that one go through without some comment...

phnark! 

Perveyor of crap knob jokes since 2007.
jessama View Drop Down
Chalfont Oracle
Chalfont Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:04pm

I went to the GX Farmer's Market yesterday and very good it was.  I got lamb, sausages, bread (sourdough available DanW) and vegetables and could have got cheese, eggs and trout.

There was even a car park made available on a patch of green just past the residential home in East Common.  Sadly no crossing available to get over Packhorse Road.  

I'll be going again.

Edited by jessama
DanW View Drop Down
Chalfont Admin
Chalfont Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 2:09pm
Hopefully there will be a farmer's market at Fun Night on the 1st....and free parking all day in Church Lane car park.
I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>